Sign in to follow this  
Jmlopez6377

HOW DO YOU CAMP

25 minutes ago, ctafoya said:

I slept under the stars when I was a kid in northern Cali. Woke up in the morning to bear tracks all around us. We found small chunks of my dads dog headed out of camp. Haven't tried it since. 

Back in the 90's a pipefitter buddy and a few friends went up to 23S via Punkin Ctr to go turkey hunting. They got up there late, built a fire and set out sleeping bags by the fire and eventually went to sleep.

He woke up with his head in the mouth of a black bear pulling him out of the sleeping bag. It came in right past their dogs, unnoticed.

• Wow! 2

26 minutes ago, AZCoueser said:

Seeing lots of “cot” responses… I have never used one. What do you cot aficionados recommend?

I have a bass pro shops brand one now, but I used a Walmart cot for many years no problems. 

i got a friends that used air mattress, absolute garbage compared to a cot 

51 minutes ago, AZCoueser said:

Seeing lots of “cot” responses… I have never used one. What do you cot aficionados recommend?

I have used varying brands. I don’t think it matters much but a good cot pad or foam pad is invaluable.  Much better than any mattress I have used on the ground.  Air mattresses are garbage.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

I just curl up in the dirt next to the fire.  Tarps are for sissies.

After a few hours of freezing rain, you'll be looking for your car keys

• Thanks 1

head out with a heavy pack, camp for a week. get a 2 person tent 1 is too small. nice pad, thermarest. the tricky part, picking a proper sleeping bag

15 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

if its clear no tarp. cot on ground, back of the truck whatever. but september, you can get wet, it only takes once. 

Was bear hunting the year be for last at 2 am it started raining, my partner woke me up and said”it’s raining” I said “good” and rolled over 

I used to occasionally just throw a tarp on the ground and put my bedroll on it.  This was almost always when I was by myself.  6-7 years ago, I did this around Mormon mountain because I didn't get to my camp spot until around midnight and I didn't want to set up my entire camp at that time.  About 3:00 in the morning something wakes me up as I feel something walking on me.  I look down my body as a lay there and two skunks were walking on top of my bag.  Scared the heck out of me. Shooed them off and after about 30 minutes was able to fall back to sleep to only have another one start walking on my tarp.  By then I was up and that was the last time I ever slept on the ground like that.   

The man who would shoe our horses back in early 80's who was hunting near jacks canyon and a skunk crawled into his bag and bit him all over.  He had to do the whole rabies shot thing.

No glamping here.. Alakanak 12'x12' with stove , 2 oversized cots, elk ridge bags. 2 grills,  1 Blackstone, and fryer. 2 canopies, Honda whisper. And lots of taste food. Steak to lobster.

But my favorite is a oversized cot with my cowboy bed tool under the stars with my 45 by my side. Ever since the people up here at tonto camp ground got rolled up in there 4  tent like a burrito by a 300lb bear.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Was bear hunting the year be for last at 2 am it started raining, my partner woke me up and said”it’s raining” I said “good” and rolled over 

that you Jocko?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm using the same army surplus  cots that were retired, used and ended up at Goodwill decades ago. They're a little heavier than their wooden civilian counterparts, but going strong.