Sign in to follow this  
Jmlopez6377

HOW DO YOU CAMP

I moved to my hunt unit so I don’t have to camp.  I hate camping.

• Like 1

I used to have a pop up trailer but when I got a side by side I had to choose one to pull.  So I sold the pop up and bought a 12X12 Alaknak and the XL cots. I probably sleep better hunting than I do at home.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bojangles said:

I moved to my hunt unit so I don’t have to camp.  I hate camping.

I love to camp but it seems most my friends and family don't anymore except for hunts.  In the process of building a cabin in my hunt unit (finalizing plans) but I will probably still camp out for hunts.  I think a lot of what determines how people hunt is if females come along.  My wife was a trooper when we dated and when kids were young.  Not so much anymore.  She and girls will rent a hotel room nearby and me and guys usually camp out.  From my experience, women never go backwards, only forward.

• Like 3

I almost always sleep under the stars in the bed of my truck on a cot. If it is an unexpected rain shower I have a tarp i lay over my bed, If I know its going to rain or snow I have a small tent I usually pack. I also try to rent a room one or two nights during a longer hunt to shower as needed.

I've found one of the best ways to be successful is to be mobile. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

I almost always sleep under the stars in the bed of my truck on a cot. If it is an unexpected rain shower I have a tarp i lay over my bed, If I know its going to rain or snow I have a small tent I usually pack. I also try to rent a room one or two nights during a longer hunt to shower as needed.

Precisely what I do, I tape the tarp to the end of my tonneau cover if it rains. 

but I try to find a local gym, pay the daily rate and use their shower 

I have an oversized cot and teton sleeping pad from bass pro. I will use it either outside or in a tent depending on the area and weather. It is really comfortable and plenty of room. I have camped with that setup in single digits with a mr buddy heater in a coleman instatent and it is awesome.

All depends on location and anticipated length of stay.

I can sleep very comfortably on the ground with just a tarp. Upgrades would be as follows. 

Hammock, cot then tent

Bed of my truck with a shell unless its hot then a cot under the stars

if it’s cold or wet in a Kodiak kanvas 

ihave had trailers and an rv an this works best for us

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

I've found one of the best ways to be successful is to be mobile. 

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Precisely what I do, I tape the tarp to the end of my tonneau cover if it rains. 

but I try to find a local gym, pay the daily rate and use their shower 

+1 on this.   Almost always a cot under the stars, and occasionally just the truck bed with my 4 inch foam cot mattress topper.   I'll bring my 12x12 Alaknak and/or 12x14 tarp with poles if there is probability of weather.

Usually one night in cheapy motel if feeling like a shower break.  Never done the local gym angle for the shower.  Good idea...

Drive truck till it's no longer practical and set up a tent. Oak & mesquite fire to cook over or enjoy and sleep on a cot in the tent. Get up early and hike in the dark for 40 min and start glassing as the sun comes up. 

• Like 1

I slept under the stars when I was a kid in northern Cali. Woke up in the morning to bear tracks all around us. We found small chunks of my dads dog headed out of camp. Haven't tried it since. 

• Wow! 2

2 minutes ago, AZCoueser said:

Seeing lots of “cot” responses… I have never used one. What do you cot aficionados recommend?

Slumberjack.