Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

Your go to shooting platform?

We all like to get prone, but sometimes that doesn't happen. With my hunt in 23 this year, I have been looking into alternate shooting positions.

I ordered a Amazon version of The Claw/ Triclawps, but I am also looking into adding an arca mount from Outdoorsmans directly to my rifle stock, but I am always hesitant in drilling directly to my expensive McMillian (screwing things up, I'm not very handy). What else has everyone else used to shoot from? Advantages etc?

Due to physical limitations I struggle shooting prone.  That and i typically hunt terain not conducive to laying down.   As such, i have tried MANY different  systems. 

diy shooting sticks- lightweight and not bad with lots of practice.  i carry them evrywhere

trigger sticks- more stable and adjustible than diy sticks. minor upgrade though.

Tripod with vice(claw, pig saddle, etc)  - adaptable to any weapon. far superior to sticks.  with shooting sticks on the stock, super stable.  heavy and clunky though and not completely stable.  

tripod with arca swiss- with a good glassing head it is superior to a vice.  most wiggle is removed.

tripod with an arca swiss shooting mount -  as good as it gets. for me it is almost as good as being on a bench. very solid and stable. I use the field optics research tripod and bowl top with proven success. I have also added arca swiss to all my rifles as this is what i have settled on as being the best option for me.   i have even converted my die-hard bipod-only buddy to this system....lol

BT_PRECISION_NP.thumb.jpg.3a7053feeaf89cfa5f5f37be84d9919a.jpg

20240104_224933.thumb.jpg.a980f9a9514ced147c5647d6b4751b95.jpg

• Like 2

That is a slick looking system, but requires another tripod. I think I will add Arca plates to my 28 Nosler and my sons 7/08.

I think the outdoorsmans arca plate is made for them by Salmon River Solutions. Area 419 and SRS are ones to look into for your rails

You can find a wide variety of Arca clamps that you can add to your existing tripod head. I was just recently helped with this (S/O Lance K) and this is what i ordered, will hopefully use it for the first time in the next few days

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GY5E13W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A117K1DEQYNJIS&psc=1

My hiccup in the system, I almost exclusively stand and glass while rifle hunting and center tripod columns don't mix well with my arca plates.

Any thoughts on a tripod sturdy enough to shoot and tall enough to glass from? 6' 1". Thx.

My kids have used the bog pod shooting sticks( the tripod versions)  and the death grip tripods and we love them.  They have worked pretty decent over the last decade.

3 hours ago, CouesPursuit said:

My hiccup in the system, I almost exclusively stand and glass while rifle hunting and center tripod columns don't mix well with my arca plates.

Any thoughts on a tripod sturdy enough to shoot and tall enough to glass from? 6' 1". Thx.

I am 6' 3" and have run into that issue. My buddy that converted to this system is over 6' as well. He does use 2 tripods. I still use only one. 

I have an arca swiss adapter for my bowl that allows me to throw a video head on it for glassing then pop it off for shooting. 

If I know I will be standing I have a field optics research with a center post and a fluid head for glassing. Very stable but just a little more wiggle than the bowl. Still far superior to sticks or a clamp. For regular hunting distances it is quite adequate. The head is the key when shooting off a glassing tripod. the big video heads are the best but obviously any high quality NON-PLASTIC head will do. The shooting heads are superior due to the absence of weak points that introduce wiggle. a back-brace can remove a lot of that wiggle as well.

You can also put an arca clamp on your trigger sticks or whatever shooting sticks you use. Not as stable as a quality tripod but works in a pinch.

I am in Gilbert if you want to borrow them and try them out. Trigger sticks and a pig saddle too. 

Thanks for the info and offer. 

I'm currently using the Sirui VA5 on a cheaper CF tripod that is just tall enough to glass from. It works decent when I lock the center column down but it is not the answer to long range precision. I keep a bipod on my rifle and the arca is a backup for the few ounces it adds. 

I'm upgrading the tripod before fall hunts and am looking for the best option, I'd appreciate any model recommendations. 

Looking back I'd say 80% of my kill shots on game were done shooting offhand from a standing position when game just appeared and there was  less than 10 seconds to make the shot. Others were done from a sitting position including a black bear, one coues and one javelina. 

Farthest shot was maybe 300 yards on a mule deer just below Table Mesa and that was offhand and standing. I have only shot off Trigger Sticks once in 2022 when I killed a small 6x6 at 400 yards. I can't remember a single time where it would have been feasible to pull off the shot lying prone whether due to the terrain, bushes and grass in the way or or the animal  well above or below the line of sight.

26 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Looking back I'd say 80% of my kill shots on game were done shooting offhand from a standing position when game just appeared and there was  less than 10 seconds to make the shot. Others were done from a sitting position including a black bear, one coues and one javelina. 

Farthest shot was maybe 300 yards on a mule deer just below Table Mesa and that was offhand and standing. I have only shot off Trigger Sticks once in 2022 when I killed a small 6x6 at 400 yards. I can't remember a single time where it would have been feasible to pull off the shot lying prone whether due to the terrain, bushes and grass in the way or or the animal  well above or below the line of sight.

Valuable contribution! 

4 hours ago, CouesPursuit said:

Thanks for the info and offer. 

I'm currently using the Sirui VA5 on a cheaper CF tripod that is just tall enough to glass from. It works decent when I lock the center column down but it is not the answer to long range precision. I keep a bipod on my rifle and the arca is a backup for the few ounces it adds. 

I'm upgrading the tripod before fall hunts and am looking for the best option, I'd appreciate any model recommendations. 

Go look at the SLIK usa website (slikusa.com). Check out the refurb page. GREAT deals on legs and systems. Can pick up a blem or refurb aluminum or carbon fiber for a great price. I have bought several through there. Excellent tripods. 

You can also get center post extensions for glassing standing up if the model you like is not quite tall enough. I have to do that too.

• Like 1

Triclops on front 2 sided trigger stick on bitstock with a beanie in the cradle to push my cheek weld down into.  Has been great for the youth hunts for us 

• Like 1

Trigger sticks tripod and bog death grip are usually  in the back of the sxs and most rifles have a bipod on them . After a few knee surgeries and back issues  I can't  shoot comfortable  prone . I can get there but getting  back up is a issue. The new rifle has a manners stock  so it's got a arca rail but I haven't  got a tripod for it yet the ac unit on my house quit so my gun / fun money  is gone for awhile.  The house is cool again  but it was expensive.