Ruby

New Muzzleloader Set Up

Hi Everyone,

My Dad won a CVA Accura LR-X .50 cal muzzleloader at the RMEF banquet this last weekend. This is the first muzzleloader either of us have owned or will have ever shot. I was curious what people recommend with in terms of primers, chargers, bullets etc. We are really novices at this so any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

YouTube is your best friend. I borrowed buddy’s paramount 2 years ago. Shot it 6 times to zero a new scope and killed a buck with it at 220 yards. Blackhorn is the favorite for long range muzzleloading. Good luck and have fun!

• Like 2

I shoot a CVA Optima and I highly recommend blackhorn 209 if you can find/afford it.  If you do you the blackhorn you will need to change out the breech plug and find magnum 209 primers.  I use the all copper Thor bullets and am very happy with their accuracy and terminal performance.  Try muzzle-loaders.com for most of your needs.  You can call them and their customer service is very good and will help walk you through what you need.  

As stated  blackhorn 209 is the powder of choice.  It's best to weigh out the powder charges as the lines on the plastic tubes are not accurate.  There is a chart for how much blackhorn  by weight you can run . Blackhorn usually has it online. Any of the pellets are corrosive and require cleaning  after use and specific black powder  only cleaner.  Blackhorn  is different and standard  gun cleaner can be used.209 shotgun primers are usually what make them work  .Then just the bullet  of your choice.  Muzzleloaders. Com has everything you're gonna need. 

I still use 100 grains of Triple Seven, 209 primers and Barnes TEZ. The rest of the group might not agree but its worked for me.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mike26 said:

I still use 100 grains of Triple Seven, 209 primers and Barnes TEZ. The rest of the group might not agree but its worked for me.

Plus one.  EZ with the pellets, and shoots lights out in my Knight

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mike26 said:

Solid choices.  I'm probably in the minority because is still use the real black powder Goex FFG, just feel I get more out of it.  And Hornady SST's 250gr have been good also.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Hunterjohnny said:

Solid choices.  I'm probably in the minority because is still use the real black powder Goex FFG, just feel I get more out of it.  And Hornady SST's 250gr have been good also.

SST's have worked great for us on elk

I've used and taken animals with pellets and it is definitely easier to get started using them.  The big advantage though to Blackhorn though, is how much cleaner and less corrosive it is than the pelletized white hots or 777.  Of course, nothing wrong with them, just might require more cleaning between shots at the range which can get annoying.  

777 will shoot fine if you can mimic the same exact sequence in the field that you do at the range.  Shoot, run a patch, shoot etc.  The problem is, the second you let it ride around in the truck and in and out of camper etc with humidity and temp changes it goes to heck.  The fouling takes on moisture from the air and the crud ring it leaves will shred your sabots different then at the range and it’ll shoot different.  Blackhorn mitigates a lot of that by being oil rather then water based

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for the information, this gives us a good starting point to look at. I really appreciate it.

10 hours ago, Mike26 said:

I use the same setup. But I use BH 209 powder. For better consistency measure your powder with weight instead of volume. I also perfer 209 because it cleans much easier! I use only 80 grains of weighed powder for each charge too! Shoots great!

1 hour ago, UggRedBilly said:

I use the same setup. But I use BH 209 powder. For better consistency measure your powder with weight instead of volume. I also perfer 209 because it cleans much easier! I use only 80 grains of weighed powder for each charge too! Shoots great!

80 grains by weight of BH209 is a very stout load for mose traditional (non magnum) Muzzleloaders.  If it’s a Remington ultimate or one of the Paramounts you can go above that but most of them that’s a pretty heavy load.  

3 hours ago, yotebuster said:

80 grains by weight of BH209 is a very stout load for mose traditional (non magnum) Muzzleloaders.  If it’s a Remington ultimate or one of the Paramounts you can go above that but most of them that’s a pretty heavy load.  

84gr by weight  is max for a magnum  rated 50 cal . My paramount pro in 45cal shoots 112 gr by weight  . I think 95 was what the book has as low for them . It's  still shocking  how much just a few extra grains of powder really  changes a muzzleloader recoil.

• Like 1