Sign in to follow this  
az41mag

Suggestions on quad / atv

I'm about to be in the market for a quad / atv for hunting, and was looking for some advice on which brand and size to go with. Kind of looking at the Polaris Sportsman 570 or similar just because it seems to be a mid size, and not really sure if I need anything bigger or not. My use would just be for getting down roads too nasty for the pickup. Any brands or things to stay away from? Any must have accessories for hunting that I should also look for? Thanks in advance.

My advice.  Power steering is huge.  Also get the highest HP you can.  Polaris 700-800 is great.  Good luck

• Like 1

My buddy  had a Polaris  and seemed  to have issues  with  the carburetor  so injection  and power steering  are a plus. Back when I had a quad I had a Honda.  Just a rancher 350 . Very basic  but absolutely  reliable and great on gas. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, az41mag said:

I'm about to be in the market for a quad / atv for hunting, and was looking for some advice on which brand and size to go with. Kind of looking at the Polaris Sportsman 570 or similar just because it seems to be a mid size, and not really sure if I need anything bigger or not. My use would just be for getting down roads too nasty for the pickup. Any brands or things to stay away from? Any must have accessories for hunting that I should also look for? Thanks in advance.

My son has a 2023 570. Power steering and fuel injected. I have driven it and I think it has plenty of power. It doesn't have that many miles, but there have been no problems. I prefer Honda, but their mid size model was not automatic and had the goofy break lock to reverse deal from the 80's.

• Like 1

I have a 2001 Sportsman 400 (425cc) that I got for fathers day that same year.  It has been a great machine and very dependable.  Plenty of power and never felt like I needed more.  I recommend keeping up on regular maintenance and store indoors.  I have had Hondas too and they are very good machines as well.

• Like 1

i have had many.  my absolute favorite is the only one i still own.... honda 250  2wd.   enough power to get me anywhere and light enough to never need 4wd.  bigger is not always better.  i can scoot around many of the obstacles the big ones cant.  NEVER been stuck.

i also like the big 2 seaters but they are BRUTAL on the arms without power steering.

avoid the sport models. 

front and rear racks are awesome.

a winch is alwys nice too

Quads are so easy to work on even the bad ones are manageable.  the bad ones being can ams....

• Like 2

It's been a while, but we had two Hondas a 350 and a 450 and they were bomb proof. Plus they had plenty of power to haul my dad and I around, and we both are/were large dudes. All time 4x4 was awesome, but the power steering upgrade of the more modern quads sounds amazing!

• Like 1

We've always used Hondas at work, Rancher 350s and 420s have taken us to and from all the wicked places with ease. Lots of power and plenty of room for hauling gear, etc. As mentioned before they seem to be the perfect size to squeeze or bypass those places that could be tricky. All the accidents and mishaps on the bigger machines always seem to have the worst injuries. 

DAN

• Like 2

So I used to use Honda and Yamaha for work. Best thing is to get feul injection is must and most newer ones should all be I believe. Power steering and a front locker you can turn on and off are great. And I prefer a front rack and a winch as well. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input so far guys, much appreciated. Sounds like I should look at the Honda's too.

We have two Polaris quads dating back to 2006. First we were offered a 300cc 2wd Hawkeye cheap  but was in great condition.  Turned out to  be a fun little machine, I put o average 30 miles a week on it. Have only replaced the battery a couple times. 

Next we picked up a Sportsman 500 HO 4x4. Compared to the Hawkeye it's like a Cadillac,  love em both.