Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

Who's tracking you?

1 hour ago, wildwoody said:

Your right the factory wouldn't now about the loan, but they put them in then there activated by the dealership. .  And second if you take them out your GPS system will no longer work. Anyway not arguing because IDGAF..

It’s not an argument. It’s just getting facts straight. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

when you say newer, youre talking about a new car or a used car?

the factory wouldnt know anything about the loan. nor would they care. then if they were, how would the bank tap into that. but i dont work in new cars. maybe thats something now. the factory may install some sort of gps, but it wouldnt be for the purpose of repo

now some banks do require you put them in though. but when they do, you sign a disclosure agreement. then the dealer has it installed. 

It appears it was installed  at the original dealership  when the truck was new. I guess there installed  on most new cars as a way to track them . Some are tied into several systems on the cars making them kinda like a gps controlled security system that the dealership tries  to up sale. Even if you decline they are already installed. As Lucafu1 has stated  they have a battery backup  and draw from  the car to charge.  Mine was just a tracker and a simple two wire removal. I could see how they would  drain  the battery  when we're out hunting  as they are always on and searching  for a gps signal. We might  not run the truck for a week or two  depending  on the hunts. I've been  stuck twice  20/ 30 miles in on dirt roads  with dead batteries.  Mine was under the dash and piggyback to the obd2 port but I did  see a YouTube video  of a guy with  a ram truck  that found it under the fuze block under the hood . They just need a ground and a constant  hot lead .

• Like 1

If they’re in all new cars and they’re causing you battery problems, shouldn’t everyone with a new car be having battery problems? 

10 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

If they’re in all new cars and they’re causing you battery problems, shouldn’t everyone with a new car be having battery problems? 

I have no idea how many cars are affected with this issue  or how many or for how long they have been putting  them on but I do know it's a issue  and it's getting  more attention as people are finding them. You can check the web or YouTube  and get your  own information.  I do know that it's a draw on the battery and it's always on and searching when it can't  find a signal just like your hand held gps will drain batteries as it searches for a signal. 

I don’t doubt that new cars with all the technology they have these days has some sort of factory gps. I’m just surprised that’s what’s killing your battery though