Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

Who's tracking you?

So after seeing  several  YouTube blips about  gps trackers being installed  on newer cars and trucks I thought  I'd look under my dash on my 2018 ram and found a gps tracker. There wired into the obd2 port . The dealers  say there not installing them so who is? I've had issues with dead batteries  on hunts  from not starting the truck for several  days . This explains  it.

The Picture  won't  load 😒 

My soon said there put in by the factory , for reposition if you fail to pay.  He says there supposed to be turned of when truck is paid off. But they don't. He has also removed some from vehicles and with in a few days the dealer will call the customer and tell them they need to bring in the vehicle ..

14 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

My soon said there put in by the factory , for reposition if you fail to pay.  He says there supposed to be turned of when truck is paid off. But they don't. He has also removed some from vehicles and with in a few days the dealer will call the customer and tell them they need to bring in the vehicle ..

It's a half a$$ hacked into the obd2 setup . I would  hope the dealership  would  do better  . They denied  installation 

It would be the factory, but could of been a pissed off wife.

4 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Not factory but dealer installed (aftermarket). Should be very easy to remove because it takes time to install them in a way where theyre not noticeable and most wont got that deep. When I was still in the industry I managed the installation of about 450 of them. They were not easily disabled due to the in-depth install. Also they would cause a draw if they failed (usually from a failed back up battery).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lucafu1 said:

Not factory but dealer installed (aftermarket). Should be very easy to remove because it takes time to install them in a way where theyre not noticeable and most wont got that deep. When I was still in the industry I managed the installation of about 450 of them. They were not easily disabled due to the in-depth install. Also they would cause a draw if they failed (usually from a failed back up battery).

Definitely  a draw on batteries  and it does have a backup battery and a sim card in it . It is now removed  .

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, eddielasvegas said:

A large part of the reason I'll never buy a new car....too many nannies on them and they are never there to help you.

Eddie

They all do it now I'm sure. My ford's do it, it comes in handy actually to track my vehicles. GM has been doing it with on-star forever, they just didn't give you access to it.

Keep in mind though, once removed if you have GPS on your touch screen, OnStar, and related services will be gone following removing it.

Customers ask alot and always have to make em aware.

7 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

So after seeing  several  YouTube blips about  gps trackers being installed  on newer cars and trucks I thought  I'd look under my dash on my 2018 ram and found a gps tracker. There wired into the obd2 port . The dealers  say there not installing them so who is? I've had issues with dead batteries  on hunts  from not starting the truck for several  days . This explains  it.

The Picture  won't  load 😒 

when you say newer, youre talking about a new car or a used car?

6 hours ago, wildwoody said:

My soon said there put in by the factory , for reposition if you fail to pay.  

the factory wouldnt know anything about the loan. nor would they care. then if they were, how would the bank tap into that. but i dont work in new cars. maybe thats something now. the factory may install some sort of gps, but it wouldnt be for the purpose of repo

now some banks do require you put them in though. but when they do, you sign a disclosure agreement. then the dealer has it installed. 

23 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

the factory wouldnt know anything about the loan. nor would they care. then if they were, how would the bank tap into that. but i dont work in new cars. maybe thats something now. the factory may install some sort of gps, but it wouldnt be for the purpose of repo

now some banks do require you put them in though. but when they do, you sign a disclosure agreement. then the dealer has it installed. 

I know Some of the smaller dealerships that do their own  financing, buy here , pay here, add tracking to their vehicles for repo purposes.

8 minutes ago, HyNoon said:

I know Some of the smaller dealerships that do their own  financing, buy here , pay here, add tracking to their vehicles for repo purposes.

yeah, see my post.

35 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucafu1 said:

They all do it now I'm sure. My ford's do it, it comes in handy actually to track my vehicles. GM has been doing it with on-star forever, they just didn't give you access to it.

Yes, I should have said newer car and not really sure when the nannies became so intrusive (my guess is last 10-ish years) but my T4R is 23 years old and my Miata in 32 years old so as I long as I can get in and out of these two, I have cars for the rest of my life.

Eddie

• Like 3

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Your right the factory wouldn't now about the loan, but they put them in then there activated by the dealership. .  And second if you take them out your GPS system will no longer work. Anyway not arguing because IDGAF..

I wasn't born yesterday, so I am not in need of a GPS system in my vehicle.

• Like 1