yorick1

Cannon downrigger $40

Cannon down rigger for sale or trade.  It has a clamp kind of mounting option and a home made aluminum one.  Has 150# braid on it currently.   Has been sitting for years, I used it at Powell a couple times.  Anyway, 75$.  Now $ 50. Obo Or trade for ???  I’ll put pictures of the aluminum mount when I get to where my boat is stored.  

IMG_1864.jpeg

IMG_1863.jpeg

IMG_1865.jpeg

As a downrigger user thought I'd ask a few questions which may help you sell it.  

Do you have weights? What about releases? 

There are all sorts of things available.  Downrigger trolling is big in the great lakes. I have downrigger trolled Lake Ontario and many lakes in the West. Very effective especially for trout and Kokanee in the West. This downrigger would be a useful tool for summer Bass that go deep. Even in the middle of Roosevelt Lake there are bass for the taking.....

Thanks,  no it doesn’t come with a weight or line clip.  I have 2 of these and am holding onto the weights in case I get to somewhere I can use a downrigger again.  Running 2 at once and the boat at the same time was more than I was up to.  I guess I’m not agile enough. 

I used to fish with a friend that ran four electric Rivera downriggers in Lake Ontario! I ran two with my setup but mine are hand crank. Machined them myself.  

For anyone interested in downriggers here is some setup information. Who knows it might get someone to buy your downrigger:

Downriggers are great! You can use light lures, line, rods and reels and feel the fish fighting when it is released from the downrigger. You can precisely place that light lure exactly where you want it. You can make tighter turns with the shorter line that is behind the release when compared to flatline trolling. You can even troll tiny lures like streamers.

You can also add additional lure to each rod's line, if it is legal in your area. It is called a slider. The line makes a belly between the downrigger ball's release and the tip of the rod. Make a 6-10 ft leader with a clip that will allow you to snap it on the line. After the downrigger is setup, throw out the slider lure behind the boat and clip the leader on to the rod's line. It will go down approximately halfway. When a fish strikes the slider lure the fish will go downwards tripping the release. Sometimes you may see the rod bouncing and you will have to grab the rod and give it a snap to release the slider caught fish.

There is a more cumbersome setup called the stacker. It may not be legal in some places. A work around in some states is one hook per leader as some laws allow 15 hook points. It requires specially made small weak rubberbands. As you lower the downrigger, perhaps every 10 feet you loop the rubber band around the downrigger cable. Let the leader and lure out and clip it to the line and the rubber band wrapped around the downrigger cable. When a fish hits, the rubber band breaks and the fish slides down the line to the release. Multiple setups can be attached to cable and line this way. This can be a mess but it covers a wide range of depths and under certain circumstances when it is slow can catch you fish.

How about $50?  

Price dropped to $40