Sign in to follow this  
idgaf

Traditional muzzleloader otc elk

Before you go, know that I am an above average hunter with extreme local knowledge and it took me 20 to 30 days to shoot a spike. 

Weapon choice was a .54 caliber Hawkins for two reasons, first I like to challenge myself.  Secondly,  some passive aggressive ahole on here question my use of a 3030 last year so I wanted to go older and slower with my weapon choice. 

Since mid June I spent my time chasing two of the three full size bulls I've seen with only a couple of sightings of them.  The only pictures I got of them.  If I was using a standard weapon shooting the now standard 1/4 mile my taxidermy bill would have gone up. 

20240705_053748.thumb.jpg.0baf284b3be0dc4bd3048816b02ea039.jpg

20240705_053745.thumb.jpg.6f9ceb9ace246fd35323a135e3333623.jpgI even set up a blind at the closest water source and sitting there half a dozen evenings, only seeing cows.  

Realizing that my obligations to some friends I said I would help is coming up shortly and my wall space for elk is becoming limited (my last two bulls live in my garage now)  I told myself just have fun and get some meat.  

Thursday I am sitting an overlook when a calf pops up and then a cow and then a bunch of cows and then I see a couple of spikes. The conversation with myself goes on for a couple of minutes of going down there for a spike was intense and heated. I decide to try. Doing the perfect stalk I get to 40 yards or so as the sun is setting and miss.  I spent a couple of hours that night and that next morning looking for evidence of a hit.  Nothing

Saturday evening rolls around and I go back to that spot so I could have cell signal to listen to the assignation attempt.  Saturday morning my good bulls didn't show up in their spot. I actually leave early so I can eat a non microwaved dinner. I am almost half way back to the truck when I hear some calves yapping back in forth.  I decided to check it out after another lengthy conversation if I wanted to see some cows. 

I see them weaving through the cedars and I get closer, fully expecting to create a stampede. I get under 40 yards and the spike I shot at on Thursday jolts and stops about 30 yards from me.   I settle in offhand and squeeze.  Spike drops instantly.

20240713_195513.thumb.jpg.2c2c6f85f0524abefe8f1bd00a2e97db.jpg

20240713_200830.thumb.jpg.cb87a3bfb359dfbe2643a18bef24218f.jpg

The round ball turned into a pyramid shape.  Sometimes it's good just to hunt for fun and I need to remember that. 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

When we going??

Name the day.  ( just not Monday or Tuesday of this week)

• Like 1

Try last week of the month, need to get wire for res generator wire ordered from you. Nice job. Oh ya the big fish are biting 

WIN_20240714_08_29_02_Pro.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Try last week of the month, need to get wire for res generator wire ordered from you. Nice job. Oh ya the big fish are biting 

WIN_20240714_08_29_02_Pro.jpg

Nice your usual spot or the res?

No woods canyon on fav bass lures. Got to meet up..

3 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

No woods canyon on fav bass lures. Got to meet up..

Absolutely!

• Like 1

Dang I didn't even see this.  Nice job man! I would love to do that old school like that some day.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Dang I didn't even see this.  Nice job man! I would love to do that old school like that some day.  

Kevin,

Next time around  (In my best john wick 4 voice) pistols 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Come on up, I try and do middle of the week, I can get alittle poopy with the crowds. And will take that IDGAF guy, not sure what his name is. Lol

Going tomorrow at 4:30am . 

Fred next Wednesday..

• Like 2