Flashgun

DIY Mini split for garage..

Anyone have any recommendations for the best diy kit to do myself? I am thinking i want a 18,000 btu. I see some say diy but then need specialty tools. Just looking for suggestions and if anyone has done one themselves and has any pointers

I have used Blue Ridge several times.  Very good results and no special tools required.  The lines are pre charged .  Alpine Home Air is the company name .  

Give me a call and I'll tell you what I did.  

Adam

928-595-1554 

• Like 1

I am a dealer for MR COOL and sell alot of DIY kits, I have one in my shop. Need some details on size of shop and insulation and what your doing in the shop?

• Like 4

Homevdepot brands works just fine. There supposed to only last 10 yrs. Not an expert.

Just for reference, I have a 2 head 37K split in my garage, 1000 sq feet, 2x6 construction stucco on foam with plywood and 5/8 drywall inside and crap insulation. My issue area ids my roof is plywood then foam then poly paint and thats my hottest spot with laser. Garage doors are insulated and sealed pretty well all around.

I am currently running at one time a cnc mill and engine lathe (welder, lights, laser, at odd times). This set up barely keeps up in the hottest part of the summer so i usually work at night or mornings til noon. 48K would have been the way to go for my set up. I do plan to upgrade the insulation this year and add more foam and paint to the roof, this should help for next summer.

An 18K unit isnt going to do much unless you sit in front of it.

I added a 24K unit to the cabin in Heber and that thing has been great in the afternoons and warming things up on cold mornings. cools off 1200 sq feet real well up there.

Go to Rocky Point. The mini splits are dirt cheap down there, and bring it back. 1 1/2 ton HP was $440 ish, upgrade to a 19 SEER was $600  and some change.

• Like 1

I just finished installing a 12000btu Mr Cool in my fifth wheel and it's blowing out 47 degree air in 107 temps. I have 3 ac units and they just weren't getting the job done. It is also whisper quiet. If you do the 18000 0r higher you need 220 to run it. So far I am loving it.

• Like 1

I also picked up my units in Rocky point.  my shop is 1500sqf  I bought 3 units.  one is 230v the other 2 are 110v  I have two separate rooms in addition to the mail shop.  everything work great.  I also got the ones for heat has well.  At my home the heat is a necessity at times..  when it hot like now I run the main one almost non stop.  My electric bill went up about   $70 in the hot summer months,  and $60 in the coldest months.   When the dewpoint is low I then use a portable evap cooler.  

On 7/13/2024 at 7:37 PM, NOTAGS said:

Go to Rocky Point. The mini splits are dirt cheap down there, and bring it back. 1 1/2 ton HP was $440 ish, upgrade to a 19 SEER was $600  and some change.

Where in Rocky Point do you purchase these units? I'm interested in getting one. Thanks

There's a home  store called Muebles Coloniales on the road with the big Super Ley, I think its Constitucion Blvd. Just google the name, and Google maps will take you there.  The sales guy speaks perfect English.

47 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

There's a home  store called Muebles Coloniales on the road with the big Super Ley, I think its Constitucion Blvd. Just google the name, and Google maps will take you there.  The sales guy speaks perfect English.

Thank you sir

On 7/18/2024 at 11:09 AM, NOTAGS said:

Good info here!!    The only way to go!   Inexpensive and eezy peezy install.  The 220v model will work better.