Sign in to follow this  
bigelk

MISSING!!!! Taxidermist went missing

Anyone know where Gametrail Taxidermy (Bret Prentice) went to. Im still waiting on a 2 good bucks from 2018. Dude used to do great work but you cant get your stuff. He told me was working out of another guys shop to catch up on backlog, now ghost. What sucks is he says he has my skull cap and cape, but I cannot believe a word he says. At this point I just want my cape and skull cap back. 2IMG_5118.thumb.jpg.00307b790221784393ab5459653a14f1.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah I saw that as well. He is working out of another shop, he sent us a picture of him working in a shop that didnt look like his in mid June. 

Those are some great bucks! 

That sucks, I hope it works out and you get your bucks back. 

Such a bad situation.  He has done many mounts for me and is so talented.  Last year I gave him another one to do with extreme reluctance.  I opted to give him a deposit, but not my cap just in case.  8 months later, nothing.  I ended up asking for a refund and he did in payments.   I sincerely hope he figures life out.  I think he has some demons that he is unable to stave off. 

I just got my last payment from him last week, so I know he is still plugging away.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Such a bad situation.  He has done many mounts for me and is so talented.  Last year I gave him another one to do with extreme reluctance.  I opted to give him a deposit, but not my cap just in case.  8 months later, nothing.  I ended up asking for a refund and he did in payments.   I sincerely hope he figures life out.  I think he has some demons that he is unable to stave off. 

I just got my last payment from him last week, so I know he is still plugging away.  

Were  there physical threats made to get your refund back, LOL?  I know you buddy....

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

Why were you reluctant to give him another after he did many mounts for you and is talented 

52 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

Were  there physical threats made to get your refund back, LOL?  I know you buddy....

No physical threats.  It wasn't a huge sum, just hate the fact of losing money and getting nothing in return.  Bret was pretty cool about it, all in all and honored his word that he would get me paid back for my deposit.  

Years ago I met and hunted with him. Seemed like a really good guy. Sucks that this happens a lot in taxidermy. 

30 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Why were you reluctant to give him another after he did many mounts for you and is talented 

It's a long story over many years, but multiple other buddies had problems getting work completed.  Addiction is a Mfer, Bret never did me wrong, so I gave him a chance at getting back on his feet.  This is after multiple buddies told me not to.  His taxidermy imo, is really good and I know that he is a great guy. 

• Like 2

Respectfully, if you gave money to an addict, that's a tough one. I didn't know him well, and this was over a decade ago, but I didn't know him to be an addict.

I was told many years ago by Jack from Wildlife Studios in Phx that there is no reason to leave your skull cap/horns with the Taxidermist. That is the last thing they do in finishing the mount. 

• Like 4

He told us we were about a week from starting and wanted skull cap in like 2020, which was 2 yrs later and we were hopeful, here we are mid 2024.