Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Starlink

I recently stayed at an Airbnb in the mountains that used Starlink. I was very impressed. Way better than the other crappy internet providers up north.

• Like 1

I have Starlink Roam for my RV. It works very well (but needs an unobstructed view of the sky). Keep in mind that it needs a constant 120v power source to run the router. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eli said:

The new gen iPhone is supposed to be able to satellite text for a small fee as well. Currently running an inreach mini and it works, but isn’t convenient 

https://www.tomsguide.com/phones/iphones/apples-message-via-satellite-works-just-like-imessage-and-itll-be-free-to-start-with

man that is great news! thanks for posting 

• Like 1

I just ordered the standard model $499 with the roam plan $150/mo (can be paused).  I intend to use multiple times this fall to stay connected and extend my trips while working a few days during the week.  My son's NM antelope hunt will be the first real test Aug. 3-5.  There is little to no cell service where we hunt.  This will allow us to stay connected with home.  Then I go to ID for September to archery hunt elk.  I will have to be on several TEAMS video conferences during that time.  I am hoping no one will know that I am not in the office back in Phoenix.

The lodge I stayed at last December in Mexico had Starlink.  Everyone in the group was connected using Wi-Fi calling and video facetime.  I was surprised how well it worked with multiple people on at the same time.  Others were even streaming sporting events in the evening with no delays.

Good luck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spot said:

I have Starlink Roam for my RV. It works very well (but needs an unobstructed view of the sky). Keep in mind that it needs a constant 120v power source to run the router. 

The mini will run on 12V also 

We have it and love it. I have used it in numerous camps and it always works perfectly. My gf is an accountant with large data files and she was working remotely online from elk camp as i streamed tv mid day during scounting breaks. It worked great with a jackery and some solar panels

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Flashgun said:

We have it and love it. I have used it in numerous camps and it always works perfectly. My gf is an accountant with large data files and she was working remotely online from elk camp as i streamed tv mid day during scounting breaks. It worked great with a jackery and some solar panels

Not as important, but I was able to stream netflix/Hulu with ease.

On 7/8/2024 at 10:43 PM, firstcoueswas80 said:

I dont have it, but I logged on to the WIFI at sheep camp least year. It was pretty cool considering we had 0 signal once the battery died at night. 

Where I deer hunt, I have access to channels in my trailer through the built in dish, and then I hotspot my phone. I have watched many football games from the comfort of the trailer, in the middle of nowhere. (not really, just minutes from Rio Rico).

Basically a foreign country

11 minutes ago, AZLance said:

Atleast I aint turning in tags....

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Atleast I aint turning in tags....

#pointguard, if i find a big bull, i may change my mind.

On 7/8/2024 at 10:43 PM, firstcoueswas80 said:

I dont have it, but I logged on to the WIFI at sheep camp least year. It was pretty cool considering we had 0 signal once the battery died at night. 

Where I deer hunt, I have access to channels in my trailer through the built in dish, and then I hotspot my phone. I have watched many football games from the comfort of the trailer, in the middle of nowhere. (not really, just minutes from Rio Rico).

On 7/9/2024 at 12:45 PM, Eli said:

The new gen iPhone is supposed to be able to satellite text for a small fee as well. Currently running an inreach mini and it works, but isn’t convenient 

https://www.tomsguide.com/phones/iphones/apples-message-via-satellite-works-just-like-imessage-and-itll-be-free-to-start-with

I think I'll be able to throw away my Inreach sooner than later! Awesome news. Did a little more digging on this and iOS 18 coming this fall 2024 is going to have the iPhone satellite texting capabilities. Will work on iPhone 14 and newer models. 

• Like 3

On 7/10/2024 at 6:18 AM, Flashgun said:

^^^^ This. lol. Happy wife, happy life.  My wife is an a self employed accountant, so no workie = no money.

We took the kids and stayed in a  rv park in cottonwood (with an exchange student).  When we were there i was talking to one of the "neighbors" who was in from Oregon.  He had starlink on his trailer for his travels. He said it was better than his home internet.  It's pretty cool.

My goal, is to get starlink (or the wife will and write it off).  Im with some of the other guys,  "no wires and enjoy nature"... but if we do get it, then the wife can come do her thing when im out for the day and then we can enjoy the campfire and actual camping in the evenings.

There's two different versions, as mentioned.  We're looking into the roam version

Same but different... if you're just looking for cell service. My brother runs the Weboost cell phone extender. (there's one for sale in the classifieds here).  At turkey camp, he would kick it on when we were out and about.  He ventures out all over southern az and seems to do ok.

I know in the spots he had it running, when i had no service years before, i had full bars.

I think it consumes quite a bit of power, so they recommend not leaving it plugged in, or running a dual battery setup.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 8:11 PM, AzDiamondHeat said:

Not me man.  I go to show off all my toys to the peasants sleeping in the dirt.   

You def don’t go to hunt …….😬