Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Starlink

Kicking around ideas and have done some research..I am curious if any CWT members have Starlink and take it to camp?  How do you like it (or is the below is accurate)? 

I have a Garmin In-Reach which is good for basic texting when there is no cell service and peace of mind in case of an emergency...but with the newer iPhones, emergency calls can be made via satellite. 

The Garmin plan is $35 a month (plus a $35 annual fee) - Starlink is $100 a month (cancel anytime), with WIFI enabled on phone, one could have unlimited calls / texts when close to the router (at camp). It would be cool to stream live TV  (sports)  at camp and anyone at camp could use Starlink.  Garmin is a one device, but does have emergency insurance - which could be big in an emergency rescue.   

Starlink is $299 (on sale) now...

I have friends that use Starlink at home in rural areas and are very pleased with it. I parked my trailer in one of their driveways for a deer hunt and used their Starlink, but that's not really the same as being mobile with it in deer camp.

I've heard of some folks using it in camp (Kaibab bison guide Russ Jacoby for one) and pleased with it as well, and I've seen a lot of positive comments on RV forums too. I think the most common issue at least on the RV forums was some line-of-sight issues depending on antenna location and trees/mountains/etc...all those satellites Elon launches have surely helped with that. I think another issue with the RV folks is the mobile plan having more restrictions and having to recalibrate (I don't know if that's the correct terminology) when changing locations. If internet in camp is what you want, I definitely think Starlink is the best provider based on what I've read.

• Like 1

Don't we go camping to get away from stuff ??

• Like 1

Watched a chain of Starlink satellites cross the dark sky in texas 2 weeks ago.  Gotta say it was very cool to watch

45 minutes ago, catclaw said:

I get your point, but I would like to extend my camping and Starlink can make it happen.  While I am not important, it is hard for me to get away for 5 days without something requiring attention... my kids also have classes and could use it  

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, bigorange said:

I have friends that use Starlink at home in rural areas and are very pleased with it. I parked my trailer in one of their driveways for a deer hunt and used their Starlink, but that's not really the same as being mobile with it in deer camp.

I've heard of some folks using it in camp (Kaibab bison guide Russ Jacoby for one) and pleased with it as well, and I've seen a lot of positive comments on RV forums too. I think the most common issue at least on the RV forums was some line-of-sight issues depending on antenna location and trees/mountains/etc...all those satellites Elon launches have surely helped with that. I think another issue with the RV folks is the mobile plan having more restrictions and having to recalibrate (I don't know if that's the correct terminology) when changing locations. If internet in camp is what you want, I definitely think Starlink is the best provider based on what I've read.

Thanks great feedback, since I will only be using it after "setup" not sure I need the mobile plan, I think there was a time the number of users was limited, but I think Elon has taken care of that! 

I can't wait for Starlink to connect to my phone so I can throw away my InReach. The new Starlink mini does looks like a legit addition to truck camp. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, high rise hunter said:

I can't wait for Starlink to connect to my phone so I can throw away my InReach. The new Starlink mini does looks like a legit addition to truck camp. 

you sir educated me..or peaked my curiosity enough to learn more about the mini, I am going to wait on the Starlink mini and get it once it's in full release. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redman said:

you sir educated me..or peaked my curiosity enough to learn more about the mini, I am going to wait on the Starlink mini and get it once it's in full release. 

Glad I could help. I'm going to be waiting on this one as well. It will eventually fully release in US. No need to watch the full video but the first 2 minutes give a good idea what the mini will be capable of: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catclaw said:

Not me man.  I go to show off all my toys to the peasants sleeping in the dirt.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I think Starlink Roam is $150, which you can pause.  Works great but that is quite expensive.   The Gen 3 seems a little more convenient.

• Like 1

I dont have it, but I logged on to the WIFI at sheep camp least year. It was pretty cool considering we had 0 signal once the battery died at night. 

Where I deer hunt, I have access to channels in my trailer through the built in dish, and then I hotspot my phone. I have watched many football games from the comfort of the trailer, in the middle of nowhere. (not really, just minutes from Rio Rico).

• Like 1

I’ve had it for a few years now at home and have no complaints. It’s only ever glitched once in a bad snow storm. I’ve never had any other internet to compare it to but it runs my security cameras, tv, and phone just fine.

• Like 1