Sign in to follow this  
elkaholic

AZGF Overlapping hunts

I wanted to give unit 8 a try this yr. I prefer to WT hunt.

Unit 8 -- hunt number 1079- 50 tags. Oct. 25 -Nov. 3, 7 days. 

I figured a perfect hunt as only 50 tags. Great time of yr. Etc.

Guess what!

Unit 8 -- hunt number 1011 - 300 MD tags.  Nov 1 - Nov. 7. 

So if I'm lucky enough to draw unit 8 . The last 3 days of my hunt, I get the pleasure of 300 MD hunters ruining my hunt. Not just coming in days early scouting and setting up camps , but actually hunting!

Is AZGF  CRAZY, or just to dumb to see they are really screwing  the WT hunters.

I did contact AZGF, and actually got a reply. I was told its been overlapped for yrs. by a day or two to accommodate the systems program to give hunters 7 days to hunt. I'm  the first guy to ever contact them about this issue. They didn't really see it as a problem.

Guess I should just put in for the MD hunt and while scouting early just drop into the WT camps to ask if they have seen any muleys!

12 minutes ago, elkaholic said:

Guess what!

So if I'm lucky enough to draw unit 8 . The last 3 days of my hunt, I get the pleasure of 300 MD hunters ruining my hunt. Not just coming in days early scouting and setting up camps , but actually hunting!

Is AZGF  CRAZY, or just to dumb to see they are really screwing  the WT hunters.

I did contact AZGF, and actually got a reply. I was told its been overlapped for yrs. by a day or two to accommodate the systems program to give hunters 7 days to hunt. I'm  the first guy to ever contact them about this issue. They didn't really see it as a problem.

I think that hunt was always that way.

• Like 1

Unit 8 is very pockety on Wt.  Doubt you'd have that many muley hunters near you unless you are in MD country.. 

• Like 6

Hope you got point guard.

1 hour ago, elkaholic said:

Guess what!

8 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Hope you got point guard.

You may want to check your math.  Last I checked Oct. 25 through Nov. 3 is 10 days.

I just noticed my December rifle coues tag in 36c is at the same time as archery coues, I expect every archery hunter to stay out of the unit.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, jknister said:

You may want to check your math.  Last I checked Oct. 25 through Nov. 3 is 10 days.

Why..

4 years ago I had a 6a rifle antelope tag and a 6a archery elk tag.  The last weekend of the antelope hunt overlapped with the opening weekend of archery elk.  I could carry a gun and a bow at the same time.  I actually shot my antelope at about 4:00 pm on the last day of the hunt which was the first Sunday of the archery elk hunt.  I tried to kill one with a bow and arrow but couldn't get it done.  The only time I hunted with a gun was when I went to pick up my double bull blind on last day.