Sign in to follow this  
Jalt

Fall 6B Turkey hunt

New to turkey hunting and drew a fall tag in unit 6b, any suggestions on how to approach my hunt, gun and run or sitting on water?  Friend said to drive the forest roads, covering as much area as possible until I locate.   

Thoughts appreciated here, I plan to sit on water and due to my hunt being in the fall like to use decoys.  I have been told that hens, Jake's and gobblers will rafter/flock up separately, if so does anyone have gobblers or Jake's Dave Smith Decoys for sale, like to set up on water with decoys,  again any thoughts on my game plan.

Get out before dawn and listen..

Run and gun  and you are probably  going  to have a few hunters upset.  I don't  think  anyone likes the guy that keeps  driving  around  looking  for animals.  It usually  buggers up somebody's  setup. Get in early  and do some looking  around  water  . Turkeys will  be around  a water  source  . They seem  to make loops from one spot to another.  I've got a 6a tag this fall . Here's  some turkey  from  my dad's elk hunt last year 6a muzzleloader 

Awesome, would you use decoys while sitting on water?

This was after the turkey  hunt no calls or decoys. During  the turkey  hunt we used calls  but no decoys. Birds were found with in a mile or less of a water source. For a bird with a small  head they see just about  everything  move slow and watch your camo and back drops.