Sign in to follow this  
archery bank

Lees Ferry update

Just got back from Lees Ferry, I fished 6/29 and 6/30. There must have been a die off. Usually you can see numerous fish down deep and there weren't any. I'm guessing 60-70% loss.I fly fished mostly and caught all of my fish down deep nymphing. Zero fish were caught in the shallows with dry dropper. Zero fish caught on dry flies.In normal years there are trout sipping on midges at four mile in the back eddy in the evening. This time there was nothing. I fished the Ferry on Memorial Day weekend and had the same results. I didn't want to post anything until I had two trips to confirm my observations.

Saturday was terrible with the kayak numbers, probably 200 boats on the river.  I spoke to a pontoon captain, he said marble canyon guide service won't guide on the weekends because it's too congested. Sunday was better, my brother and I were the only fly fishers on the water.

We caught fish but not the usual numbers. All fish were healthy.

did you notice the water temperature?

There trying to kill it all off.

They need to start making kayaks, and paddle boards be registered, like boats and canoes. Just me

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wildwoody said:

They need to start making kayaks, and paddle boards be registered, like boats and canoes. Just me

More government regulation so they make more money and it won't change anything?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Canoes don't have to be registered unless they have a motor.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WhtMtnHunter said:

Just saw a report that the cicada hatch was starting and fishing was good on dry fly.  Any cicada action?

I truly believe that is "guide speak".

1 hour ago, 654321 said:

Canoes don't have to be registered unless they have a motor.

I know, I said they need to be. The Damm things run into my boat all the time at Woods..

On 7/3/2024 at 7:28 AM, archery bank said:

I truly believe that is "guide speak".

I believe you.  Was there in February and early May and the fishing was tough with a fly rod.  Spin fishing was better but the fish weren't in traditional locations.  Used to have 30-50 fish days there almost every time.  Now 10 is a great day.  Sad to see what has happened. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 7:45 AM, wildwoody said:

I know, I said they need to be. The Damm things run into my boat all the time at Woods..

When I’m at woods trolling I ignore the and troll my line, they move or I hit them