Sign in to follow this  

1 hour ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

The guy went to shoot it today and it shot jagged holes with factory ammo but he didnt know about the course adjustment under the scope cap and was way high at 100. Said he would get me some groups next week. Anyone else run into this with 20 moa rails? I feel like Leupold is the only one I have seen this on.

Who makes factory ammo for it?

The difference between the Wheeler version is probably the leade angle, 35 degree shoulder, and throat length. So you should be able to fire factory ammo in it.  Alex won't release the actual specs for his reamer. Holding for his customers only. I'm going to assume his version is a 1.75 degree leade with a longer throat for longer bullets.

The question still remains...who makes factory ammo for the 7PRCW ?

Nobody makes ammo for PRCW. It's a custom cartridge built by Wheeler.  But you could fire a factory 7mm PRC in it and fireform the brass. Understand that the Wheeler version is merely a change in the leade angle, the throat length, and I think Wheeler has the 35 degree shoulder. I've long been intrigued by doing a 1.75 leade angle. I think it engages the ogive better with the longer bullets than the default 1.5". I'm doing one on my 300 Norma mag. , 35 degree, this fall for 1K benchrest. Another Wheeler cartridge.

On 6/30/2024 at 7:24 AM, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

I think there are more disadvantages, its a new round so no brass, no dies, no factory ammo. Its really for long range set ups, less recoil, less powder, same speed, less extreme spread, more consistant groups, less fussy. Its just a slight improvement here and there for guys that are focussed on precision in the 7mm family. Its just like the Ackley, the BR, the GT stuff. Slight improvements over rounds really similar. Oh and you could get away with short action, but the best would be a medium action, both being shorter stroke than the long action 7 PRC.

I have been shooting one for while, it's a great round and very efficient. I'm shooting 175 ELDX at 2980fps with 55 grains of powder in a 24" barrel, recoil is light and works awesome in a short action.

They do make dies for the 7-6.5PRC (Bought mine from Short Action Customs over a year ago, sizing die is from them also just throw a 6.5PRC piece of brass in and you have a .284 or buy factory brass (ADG sells it $80/50 pieces)

Killed 2 elk, 2 bucks and an Audad with it so far. Shoots less than 1/2 minute. Really an easy round to load for nothing different than loading any other cartridge (or buy factory brass) and great ballistics, barrel life and you get a short action!

• Wow! 2

On 6/30/2024 at 7:24 AM, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

I think there are more disadvantages, its a new round so no brass, no dies, no factory ammo. Its really for long range set ups, less recoil, less powder, same speed, less extreme spread, more consistant groups, less fussy. Its just a slight improvement here and there for guys that are focussed on precision in the 7mm family. Its just like the Ackley, the BR, the GT stuff. Slight improvements over rounds really similar. Oh and you could get away with short action, but the best would be a medium action, both being shorter stroke than the long action 7 PRC.

I have been shooting one for while, it's a great round and very efficient. I'm shooting 175 ELDX at 2980fps with 55 grains of powder in a 24" barrel, recoil is light and works awesome in a short action.

They do make dies for the 7-6.5PRC (Bought mine from Short Action Customs over a year ago, sizing die is from them also just throw a 6.5PRC piece of brass in and you have a .284 or buy factory brass (ADG sells it $80/50 pieces)

Killed 2 elk, 2 bucks and an Audad with it so far. Shoots less than 1/2 minute. Really an easy round to load for nothing different than loading any other cartridge (or buy factory brass) and great ballistics, barrel life and you get a short action! Mines sits at 8.5 pounds with scope and bipod. 

7 hours ago, cjl2010 said:

Aren’t we talking about a 7-6.5prcw?

no!!

On 7/8/2024 at 3:43 PM, Ernesto C said:

The question still remains...who makes factory ammo for the 7PRCW ?

My brain was off on guns or something, this was loads he tossed together with no load development. I was quoting what he sent me. He said pretty tight for factory ammo. 
I’m not involved on his end and still waiting for group pics. The scope thing really messed things up.