Big Browns

Looking for a new career

Good Afternoon,

I'm considering retiring and starting a new career. For those who know me, you know I've spent the last 20 years in law enforcement. Over the past 4 years, I've been in a senior management role, supervising a team of over 200 staff members. I'm exploring my options to see what types of jobs are available. I've often been told that I would make a great salesman, so I'm considering a career in sales or another management-style role. If you know of a company looking to hire a highly motivated individual with excellent decision-making and communication skills, I would greatly appreciate any leads.

Adam

• Like 6

Sales can be tough. I have faith that you'll find something with less BS and stress. You deserve that.

• Like 2

Run for Justice of the Peace in your area. Not only do you get paid well but you get to keep the wedding money. I saw a JP making over 200k per year, double his county salary with weddings.

BTW, the judges only work part time in court during the week..🤣

Having met you I'd say you have a lot of options.  You have a great personality and you are also intelligent which isn't the norm these days.  Solar sales can be a cash cow but lots of shady biz practices out there so you gotta know who you are in bed with.

You seem like you got taxidermy down have you considered that? I bet you could pull that off too, only downside there is getting decent help. Employees can be a real pita so that's probably the potential pitfall.  Well almost a guaranteed pitfall.  

Pest control also has a pretty good upside.  Takes quite awhile to build your clientele, but once you do the hours worked vs income are quite solid.  I charge $60 for bi monthly service.  Depending how far house are apart you are looking at $120-180 an hour and the work is not hard on your body (depends what you are doing).  Of course building your route is a long term game.  

There are some options selling insurance too, or even getting into being a financial advisor say with Edward jones or something similar.  I know some folks in that business and they do quite well.  Heck you could even look at become a mortgage lender. I know some folks that make bank.  

One thing I know for sure is you have the personality to do whatever TF you want and you are smart enough to do it.  

Last thing... What do you want??? There's enough folks here that know you and how helpful you've been to scores of people including myself here over the years.  

Is there a particular route that really peaks your interest?

• Like 1

I used to work pest control before I worked for you Adam. It's a great job and licensing is easy to obtain. Here in AZ you never run out of clients for the buisness too. Especially with all these new homes being built in your area. 60-100$ for bi monthly service or quarterly. You can do inside and outside of a home within an hour no problem. Gear is relatively cheap to start with. If you need help with that please let me know!

1 hour ago, Big Browns said:

Good Afternoon,

I'm considering retiring and starting a new career. For those who know me, you know I've spent the last 20 years in law enforcement. Over the past 4 years, I've been in a senior management role, supervising a team of over 200 staff members. I'm exploring my options to see what types of jobs are available. I've often been told that I would make a great salesman, so I'm considering a career in sales or another management-style role. If you know of a company looking to hire a highly motivated individual with excellent decision-making and communication skills, I would greatly appreciate any leads.

Adam

hate to ask on a public forum, but are you leaving the job and forgo the DROP?  I’ve been there… I was ready to leave the moment I was eligible but I have 15 months in DROP and time is flying.  Lots of economic uncertainty ahead. You should seriously consider sticking around 5 more years. 

Whatever you decide, good luck!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

I used to work pest control before I worked for you Adam. It's a great job and licensing is easy to obtain. Here in AZ you never run out of clients for the buisness too. Especially with all these new homes being built in your area. 60-100$ for bi monthly service or quarterly. You can do inside and outside of a home within an hour no problem. Gear is relatively cheap to start with. If you need help with that please let me know!

Dang buddy I never even knew that you did that! And now Adam is your boss??? Crazy small world sometimes.  

28 minutes ago, Boarman03 said:

Run for Justice of the Peace in your area. Not only do you get paid well but you get to keep the wedding money. I saw a JP making over 200k per year, double his county salary with weddings.

BTW, the judges only work part time in court during the week..🤣

Thank you for the recommendation.  I'm looking to get away from Government jobs.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Having met you I'd say you have a lot of options.  You have a great personality and you are also intelligent which isn't the norm these days.  Solar sales can be a cash cow but lots of shady biz practices out there so you gotta know who you are in bed with.

You seem like you got taxidermy down have you considered that? I bet you could pull that off too, only downside there is getting decent help. Employees can be a real pita so that's probably the potential pitfall.  Well almost a guaranteed pitfall.  

Pest control also has a pretty good upside.  Takes quite awhile to build your clientele, but once you do the hours worked vs income are quite solid.  I charge $60 for bi monthly service.  Depending how far house are apart you are looking at $120-180 an hour and the work is not hard on your body (depends what you are doing).  Of course building your route is a long term game.  

There are some options selling insurance too, or even getting into being a financial advisor say with Edward jones or something similar.  I know some folks in that business and they do quite well.  Heck you could even look at become a mortgage lender. I know some folks that make bank.  

One thing I know for sure is you have the personality to do whatever TF you want and you are smart enough to do it.  

Last thing... What do you want??? There's enough folks here that know you and how helpful you've been to scores of people including myself here over the years.  

Is there a particular route that really peaks your interest?

Thank you for the kind words.  To be honest, I don't know what I want to do.  I'm gonna keep my options open for now.  

I'm going to continue pursuing my taxidermy business on the side for now.  Unfortunately health insurance is too expensive to purchase on my own, therefore I will need to work for a company who provides it.

4 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Dang buddy I never even knew that you did that! And now Adam is your boss??? Crazy small world sometimes.  

Yeah he helped me get the job. If it weren't for him I wouldn't have been able to help pay for my wife's school and the bills while she finished up over the last year

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

hate to ask on a public forum, but are you leaving the job and forgo the DROP?  I’ve been there… I was ready to leave the moment I was eligible but I have 15 months in DROP and time is flying.  Lots of economic uncertainty ahead. You should seriously consider sticking around 5 more years. 

Unfortunately my agency doesn't offer the DROP:(  If it did, I would definitely consider it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

I used to do pest control as well.  I honestly enjoyed the people, but hated the job.  Give me a call sometime so we can catch up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Big Browns said:

Unfortunately my agency doesn't offer the DROP:(  If it did, I would definitely consider it.

Oh ok…. I’d be gone too then!  Good luck brother 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Big Browns said:

Thank you for the kind words.  To be honest, I don't know what I want to do.  I'm gonna keep my options open for now.  

I'm going to continue pursuing my taxidermy business on the side for now.  Unfortunately health insurance is too expensive to purchase on my own, therefore I will need to work for a company who provides it.

The copper mines are hiring right now in droves it seems.  My kid just got hired as a water truck driver in morenci. Great benefits and as I understand all you have to to to move up the ladder is show up and actually do your job.  Sounds like it's 3 weeks on and one week off.  Maybe worth taking a look.  

The patogonia mine is also in need I hear.   Are you willing to move?

Also as far as pest control is concerned the big companies are always looking for sales people to sell that don't even have to do the work. Basically they do have sales only positions.  

• Like 2

Honeywell in Tempe is looking for good folks. They have many jobs that are like what you’re interested in. I can look more in a week to help give you direction. 

• Like 1