Ruby

Archery Setup

Hi Everyone,

i will admit that i have followed these forums for a while before joining but i am looking for some help. I am a long time (mostly unsuccessful) rifle hunter that is looking to get into archery. I have done some research online but it can be overwhelming with all the information (a good amount contradictory). My question is what equipment is needed to make a good starter bow? I am going to go into an archery shop but i want to get a better idea before going in.

thanks in advance.

Welcome. A good starter bow is one you shoot a lot with a reliable string. Accessories can be upgraded over time. I prefer drop aways over whisker biscuits, and would never own a single pin slider on a hunting setup.

I do not think visiting an archery shop and buying a brand new outift is necessary if money/cost is any factor. The money can spent elsewhere. I killed handfuls of critters with a $350 Bear combo. I now shoot a 2014 PSE model that isn't very desirable and it blows through animals. 

All said, if you go to an archery shop, shoot a bunch and let the bow choose you (comfort).

• Like 6

Thank you for the information CouesPursuit. I was more or less planning to go see what I can learn at the pro shop and see if I can get my specifications (draw length and weight) figured out. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't let anyone make you think 60 lbs isn't plenty. 70 can be overkill factoring in hunting situations, clothing and cold weather.

A shop will help and is not a bad idea, but length can be measured at home too. Check a few videos on YouTube and sort through the guys that shouldn't be making videos.

There are so many great used bows on this site that aren't selling well, see if you can find one with accessories (sight, rest) from someone that is willing to bring it to a range one day. There may also be an archery event worthy of your time.

Since you mentioned you have been mostly unsuccessful at rifle, why do you think that is?  Do you know how to glass, are you putting in for hard to hunt units etc.  just trying to establish a baseline for where you are as a hunter.  Archery isn't easier then rifle so you could be asking for more torture.  

As mentioned above you don't need an expensive set up.  I do actually recommend a whisker biscuit personally for a new hunter.  I've been jacked up with adrenaline before and have had the arrow pop off the rest while drawing on a buck.  I also like the IQ bow sights especially for a new hunter.  It helps you make sure your bow is not tweaked when getting ready to shoot an animal.  Again, I'm a seasoned hunter but I still get buck fever so this helps me slow down and not rush a shot.  

Range finder is mandatory, use it every time you plan on shooting at an animal.  Also put in for archery javelina.  That is great practice for deer and easy to draw.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I do actually recommend a whisker biscuit personally for a new hunter.  I've been jacked up with adrenaline before and have had the arrow pop off the rest while drawing on a buck.

Pros/cons for sure. The right drop away is the best of both worlds 😉

36 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Also put in for archery javelina.  That is great practice for deer and easy to draw.

Absolutely 💯

• Like 1

Thank you CatfishKev. I may not have the greatest hunting skills, i.e. glassing etc, but i do understand the general principles of them and do my best to follow them. My family arent the luckiest people when it comes to the draw and do get drawn for the harder to hunt units if we get drawn at all.

I absolutely do understand that archery is harder than rifle but am absolutely up for the challenge.

I am starting from ground zero with bow setups so any suggestions/ideas are appreciated. I had not even thought of archery javelina so that sounds like a really good idea and fun!

Thank you again CouesPursuit for the additional information.

Read as much as you can on archery hunting. Research draw length(you can do this your self or an archery shop), bow forgiveness( research the bow you like vs other models), let off measurement( some guys shoot better with less and some with more), axle to axle measurement( the longer the more forgiving on older bows), brace height measurement( again the longer the more forgiving on older bows). KI and arrow weight (You need enough arrow weight for penetration on the animal hunted) Elk need a heavier arrow set up vs Coues) Arrow spine vs draw weight( Effects arrow flight). Its a ton to learn, and unfortunately some of these bow shop will sell you anything so be aware.

Thank you junior71. That is why I posted my question here was i wanted to have some information from actual bow hunters and not rely on a store.

i will definitely research all the items you mentioned before making any decisions Thanks again!

Beginner here also. I highly recommend on starting with 60 pull and work your way up to 70 if you desire. Using new muscles  and form will make a huge difference. I got  bowtech cp30 and I love it.If you really are planning to make this long term,pay once cry once method is the way to go.

So Ruby... Why now?  Do you have a tag you're starting to prepare for now or are you referring to next year?

Thanks for the advice azhunter42!

1uofacat-I have a late rifle tag in 22N this year. Next year will be my first applying for archery hunts. I have always been fascinated by bows/archery and have really wanted to get into bow hunting but i dont know anyone that does  so I have been a little shy to pull the trigger.

I finally talked myself into just taking the plunge and go for it.