Sign in to follow this  
tomgobbler

big pig

me and my buddy Wes headed for a place in the hills that we know of for the afternoon hunt. we got there about 3 and started some glassing. we glassed and glassed and glasssed some more and still couldnt find them, but we had good sign and water, so we knew they were there somewhere. about 45 mintues before dark i finally heard the words i'de been waiting all day to hear, "i got em" 1000 foot straight up and 1000 yards away... what you 've got to be kidding.... no, clear at the top of the mountain, as far up as you can go on the ridge line in that saddle, how bad do you want one..... well thats what we came for..... do you have a flashlight i left mine in the truck.... yea i've got a little one in my pack, ok lets go...... so off we went, straight up.... my legs, and lungs were killing me! who's bright idea was this anyway, yours dont you remember, you said you wanted one.... ok yea lets keep moving.....well to make a long story short we finally made it to the top in record book time, but i thought i was going to die right then and there..... so we creap over to the ridge line and look over and fianly spot them after what seemes forever. they were about 100 yards away milling around.... so i sit down and put my bipod up for my muzzle loader, and with the slant of the hill its about 2 inches to short, so i put the legs up on my toes to get it high enough, i was huffing and puffing from the climb, wes says dont miss we dont want to make this climb again, Ok wow no presure, i'm breathing hard, i'm trying to keep the bipod on my toes, and i have one shot, no worries right :) well i finally get a big one in my cross hairs that doesnt have any little ones by it, and i let'r'fly.... well of course with the recoil and smoke i dont see anything but pigs run ever where...... my buddy says OH yea nice shot! i drilled that pig , high shoulder shot, broke both shoudlers and took out spine. what is crazy though is i shoot a 50 caliber 200 grain bullet, and the exit would was the same size as the entrance, just a small hole, you could'nt of told which was which if you didnt know which way he was facing when i shot, i thought that was odd, anyway it blew right through him and knocked him on his butt. well i gut him really quick and .... its now dark.... the only thing that really saved us was the moon, it was pretty bright friday night, and we could see ok to get down off the mountain... it was quite the trip getting down, it was steep and nasty and now with pig over my shoudler..... well we finally made it down and truck was never such a welcome sight. the big boar was 38 pounds and that was field dressed! Nice good cutters, older big boar, was a good one to get.

1. anyway pictues are at walmart, and my buddy took them in the dark and could hardly see me in the view finder so i hope they turn out, will have to post when i can.

well hope you enjoy and good luck to the rest of you pig hunters.

tommy

Nice job on the pig--to let you know my pig i shot Friday had the same two holes--one in and one out. I think because they are so light boned and such light skin that the bullets don't have time to really expand. I use a T/C 240 grain shockwave with a hollow point--wish i could have found the bullet but it went through and i don't know where it went after that. I shot my pig at 46 yards.

Funny how a 38 pound pig weighs 150 pounds by the time you get back to the truck!! :huh:

Congratulations on both your pigs. I wish I would have gotten one but they won out this year. :)

TJ