Sign in to follow this  
bighrnhntr

Max points for Rocky

I was curious about everyone's opinion on my bonus point situation. I was drawn for Desert Bighorn in 1991 and successful. This was the first year of the bonus point system and I had the hunter safety bonus point when most of the applicants didn't. I was 17 at the time and it was my first time applying. Ever since then, I have been applying for the Rocky Mountain tags. I've had one less than max points for 32 years now. I have recently noticed that there are currently only 2 applicants that have 35 pts and I am in the the 34 pool with around 120 other hunters. My question is, do I have a chance at drawing or do you think that most hunters in my pool are in the same situation...were they drawn in 1991 as well, and everyone is looking for that Rocky tag?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wish2hunt said:

If you applied you have a chance. I drew a Rocky tag in 09 with 7 pts

I apply every year, but I know what you mean. Sounds like you got drawn on the lucky part of it. I haven't been lucky since '91 lol

• Haha 1

The 20% max-points applies to all units collectively (unlike for turkey :( ), so unless you put in for a hunt with just a tag, you are almost guaranteed to draw.  Note:  do not put in for areas you would not want to draw as "what if" options.  I know the guy (on here) who took the biggest desert sheep in the state in 28 the year before my hunt and then drew the Rocky in the adjacent area the year after my hunt -- there is always a chance.  I would just like to know who he paid off.  ;)  :D  I don't hold off a significant chance of me drawing a Rocky Tag.  It took me 38 yr to draw the desert sheep.  The guy that drew the other tag in the same unit (which was the biggest in AZ that year) had been putting in for 52 yr, so it could be worse.  

• Like 1

I know more people who drew there Rocky the year after there Desert then I know people who have just drawn the Rocky.

2 hours ago, Hunting Fool said:

Just go to Idaho or Canada and hunt rockies 

Montana is OTC. You still gotta draw in idaho and the rams are poverty. Canada, yeah that’s the move if you got the money 

6 hours ago, Hunting Fool said:

I've been to Canada for my Stone Sheep, want to get this tag in Arizona and then plan a hunt for a Dall Sheep in Alaska. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hunting Fool said:

Idaho is gonna be 1:150+ odds as well.  Canada you’re gonna be into it for $70-100k before it’s all said and done to shoot a ram that you are gonna pray is legal while you’re hiking up to it.  I’d be a low tier gov tag long before I’d waste that kinda cash in Canada. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bighrnhntr said:

I've been to Canada for my Stone Sheep, want to get this tag in Arizona and then plan a hunt for a Dall Sheep in Alaska. 

Most of the Dalls are dead in Alaska right now. They are saying 20 year minimum before the state re-bounds to what it was just 4 years ago unfortunately 

On 6/12/2024 at 2:14 PM, trphyhntr said:

Montana is OTC. You still gotta draw in idaho and the rams are poverty. Canada, yeah that’s the move if you got the money 

There are a select few units that are OTC in MT, most are a draw.

ID has some great units and awesome rams.

Canada is poverty and you still need the money….

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jgraffaz said:

There are a select few units that are OTC in MT, most are a draw.

ID has some great units and awesome rams.

Canada is poverty and you still need the money….

Yeah I should of said Montana “has” otc as I was quoting the guy saying to go to Idaho, when Idaho really isn’t any easier to draw than AZ except a couple units where they kill mostly poverty rams in hard to get to areas. If you can’t buy a governor tag in the lower 48 you’re likely gonna have to go to Canada or just accept your fate 

16 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Yeah I should of said Montana “has” otc as I was quoting the guy saying to go to Idaho, when Idaho really isn’t any easier to draw than AZ except a couple units where they kill mostly poverty rams in hard to get to areas. If you can’t buy a governor tag in the lower 48 you’re likely gonna have to go to Canada or just accept your fate 

Amen