Sign in to follow this  
idgaf

Torn rotator cuff. Any home remedies?

Confirmed I tore two of my tendons today.  After talking to my doctor we decided on PT over surgery.  He gave me a no freaking way look when I told him I wanted use of my shoulder by August (archery deer)   anyone hear of any natural ways to expedite healing?

I have already ordered the Aaron Rodgers method. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it took me a full year to shoot a bow again and never was as strong as before.  Then again, you’re a lot younger…that helps a lot! Best of luck to you

Get an ice water therapy machine with the shoulder harness off Amazon and overuse it. I had surgery for a torn rotator and labrum 8 years ago and was back to work in 2 weeks. 

Ice, steroid injections, be really gentle with it. Sharp pain is a set back. Shoulders take a long time to heal. Let it rest and heal. Get a crossbow permit for this year, it's better to let it heal than push through the pain and be out for multiple years. Shoulders are notoriously slow. It also depends on how severe the tear is and how much you use it. I work on these all day every day at work. 

• Like 3

rest.  then more rest.

then SLOWLY start doing the stretches, rotations and wall walks they have you doing in pt.

I've had multiple tears and multiple surgeries and pt and everything else on both shoulders. Ive even done the experimental treatments.  A lifetime of pain and wrecked surgeries from rushing it have taught me a valuable lesson.  i wish i had slowed it down.   1 missed deer season or having to shoot the dreaded crossbow for season is way better than long term damage or surgery.  

but i could be wrong

6 months.  not what you want to hear but there is a reason your dr gave you that look. 

• Like 1

Tore the tendon  in my arm twice already  and it definitely  takes time. I couldn't  draw my bow for  a year . I tried  and that's what  the second  time was about.  Tendons don't  heal the same as just about everything else.  The more you  screw it up the longer it takes . Then it's never the same and it's easy  to really  screw it up requiring  surgery.  You might need to drop your draw weight  down  to prevent  having  more issues.  I went from 72 pounds to 63 . It's as low as I can go with  my bow . Probably  need to get a 60lb bow instead  so it's more efficient. 

The Dr. told me I was borderline for surgery. I went the PT route and started shooting a recurve 6mo later. A 40lb recurve let me slowly work up to a compound. 

The best advise us don't think you're "different" than everyone else.

What I mean by that is, listen to experience, ideas on time, etc. Dont think that you're going to "beat the curve" because of xxxxx. Know what I mean?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, idgaf said:

Confirmed I tore two of my tendons today.  After talking to my doctor we decided on PT over surgery.  He gave me a no freaking way look when I told him I wanted use of my shoulder by August (archery deer)   anyone hear of any natural ways to expedite healing?

I have already ordered the Aaron Rodgers method. 

PT over surgery is an interesting choice.  Is that short-term to get you ready for the August hunt?  Or permanent?  Curious because I have had both shoulders done (surgery).  The first one was a no brainer due to a severe/complete tear, plus ancillary problems (separation, broken collar bone, etc.).  The second one on the other shoulder was a relatively minor tear.  My surgeon suggested repair as opposed to PT on the minor tear based on his opinion that the PT had a low chance of getting back to 100% recovery.  Post-op & PT, both shoulders are basically back to 100%, so I'm of course satisfied with the route I took.

Sincere good luck on finding some natural alternatives to help the healing!  Hope you can hunt in August!!!👊

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stanley said:

PT over surgery is an interesting choice.  Is that short-term to get you ready for the August hunt?  Or permanent?  Curious because I have had both shoulders done (surgery).  The first one was a no brainer due to a severe/complete tear, plus ancillary problems (separation, broken collar bone, etc.).  The second one on the other shoulder was a relatively minor tear.  My surgeon suggested repair as opposed to PT on the minor tear based on his opinion that the PT had a low chance of getting back to 100% recovery.  Post-op & PT, both shoulders are basically back to 100%, so I'm of course satisfied with the route I took.

Sincere good luck on finding some natural alternatives to help the healing!  Hope you can hunt in August!!!👊

I am just not a big fan of surgery.  Doc was talking above my ability to comprehend, but what I got out of it,  One of the tears is minor and the other is moderate and gave me the option. 

Thank y'all for the recommendations.  Pretty much I got to grin an bear it for the next 5/6 months.  If you see me with a crossbow, don't judge.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

The best advise us don't think you're "different" than everyone else.

What I mean by that is, listen to experience, ideas on time, etc. Dont think that you're going to "beat the curve" because of xxxxx. Know what I mean?

cope.

29 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

how did you hurt yourself 

Stupidly, either over swinging a golf club or trying to stop a gear driven carousel 

• Like 1