I just picked up this shotgun yesterday and thought I'd share it. It's a Winchester Model 59. It was made in the early 60's, production ran from 1960-1965. The thing that is unique about it is the reciever is machined aluminum and the barrel is fiberglass with a steel sleeve. This particular gun is immaculate, it sat in a closet for 35+ years.

Has anyone ever fired one of these? I plan on cleaning it and firing a few rounds then putting it away.

model59001.jpg

model59002.jpg

A Steel sleeved fiberglass barrel??? Now that's a new one to me!

It's a Winchester Model 59. It was made in the early 60's, production ran from 1960-1965.

Shucks, I thought you said it was an OLD Winchester.

Bill Quimby

I have had one of these and before that, its predecessor, the Model 50. I traded for the Model 50 when I was an undergraduate at the University of Texas (long story). I shot it well and took many doves, quail, ducks, (and later when I moved to Kansas) pheasants and prairie chickens. It had some problems, though. There was an adjustment screw in the buttstock that periodically shot loose and you had to take the buttplate off and readjust it with a long screwdriver or it would fail to chamber the second and third shells.

While teaching at Kansas State, I became acquainted with Ed Kozicky and John Madsen who did PR for Winchester. They acknowledged the problem with the Model 50 and found me a slightly used Model 59 at a good price. I liked to carry it much better than the Model 50, but did not shoot it as well because the barrel was quite a bit lighter than the steel barrel on the Model 50 so my swing was not as smooth, and I often did not follow through like I should have. For me, it was most effective on quail, and on ducks over decoys, where a less than smooth swing was not that much of a handicap.

I ended up trading the 59 and keeping the 50. The 50 was stolen in a burglary when I lived in Albuquerque in the early 1990s--I would love to have it back. I would certainly jump on another Model 59 if I ever run across one at a decent price...

You have a very nice shotgun. If you shoot it enough to get used to it, it will take a lot of game for you.

Congratulations!

My dad has a couple of those, they are very cool guns, way ahead of their time. They had some problems with the fiberglass peeling back at the muzzle, so they actually came up with a version that had "winlite" chokes, essentially a screw in choke that was way before they had chokes. Dad has one wiht the chokes and one without. We also have a couple model fiftys, like was said before, thats the same gun with a steel reciever and barrel. They are all good guns, and like said above, the 59 is a tough gun to shoot accurately because all the weight is in the stock, and they swing funny. Dad uses his all fall for roosters back home, he's gotten pretty good with it. They are neat guns, hold onto it, and hunt with it, sitting in a case is a sad death for a gun in my book!

I just noticed in you picture, yours does have the winlite choke, thats cool, there weren't to many of those made, they're worth a bit of a premium. Winchester made that gun in a 24 guage, as a demo, only made a few of them, they are worth a ton of money, but I'm sure they've all made it into the hands of people who know what they're worth!