Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

Finding new hunting areas when the old ones dry up

I am a serious creature of habit. Typically, that means I hunt the same areas year after year. Some of it is tradition, some of it is blind faith to areas that we have had some very good success in through years past. 

However, the past couple of years have been unexplainably bad in those areas. I don't believe it to be pressure, as we only ever see one other group of hunters in there and they are always in the same place on the same rock. They have taken deer out of there and it is unknown how many, as they seem to have a large group and they are on their out cropping consistently. 

Question is, how does everyone find new areas in the same units that you typically hunt? I know the answer is scouting, but I have found summer scouting to be almost fruitless as it is too dang hot too dang early to do any hiking and then too hot to do any glassing. And, I don't go anywhere without my dog, and although she is snake trained, I feel as though that is playing with fire. 

I've always been hesitant to go to new/unknown areas during the season due to the possibility of it being wasted time. However, all too often lately the proven areas have not been much better than that. 

I look for places where average hunters don't look.  Either too close or too far for them to consider.  

In AZ, I have hunted (rifle)  22, 24A, 24B, 30A, 30B, 31, 32, 33, 34A, 35A, 36B - each of those hunts required finding "where to hunt".   Even in the units i have had multiple tags; 32.33,36 there are different areas within those units that are far apart, IMO  33 has 4 district ranges that are far apart (hard to hunt one day then the next) . 

I tend to find coues in lower elevations and target peaks on maps or Google earth, talk to others and ultimately scout. Also, I used to archery hunt a lot more and that was always helpful to be out in Jan to find new areas. 

Enjoy finding new areas to hunt, for me , the prep is sometimes funner than the hunt. 

Good luck  

You might consider sticking with the area. Most hunters are fickle, looking for greener pastures when an area is down due to being shot out or lions and do what you’re talking about doing. Areas just go through ups and downs. Possibly put your energy into going in there during other hunts to see what kind of pressure etc. and maybe work a little harder in that area to get a bit further in really picking it apart. Most others won’t do this and just leave. 

Poachers.  The ones that get busted by AZGFD are just the tip of the iceberg.  Also lions and coyotes.  Seems like very few of us are out doing much calling?

Get the app, has all good spots. Not easy these days to find new spots.

13 minutes ago, Swivelhead said:

Quail hunting is a great way to cover/scout a whole lot of ground.

I've definitely threatened to spend more time with my dog chasing mearns.

Are you hellbent staying where you are as far as work?  Just wondering if transferring to Douglas, naco or sonoita district is worth considering.  

Boots on the ground  when the weather is nice.

ill drop in some new canyons in the off season and it makes it much easier to glass from afar later, knowing there was sign in the area.

nothing like finding a new set of bucks in new country. 

be careful tho you end up with more spots then you can get drawn for. End up cycling through bucks 😝

8 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Are you hellbent staying where you are as far as work?  Just wondering if transferring to Douglas, naco or sonoita district is worth considering.  

Moving is not in the cards. Especially to DGL or NACO. Sonoita? I might have to think about that one. Currently, I am on a detail working with a lot of people from Sonoita so I would fit in alright down there. Thats where I wanted to be originally, but I am happy with where I am. 

• Like 1

Sonoita is nice.

Or, you could relocate to the Wellton Station and help us all out with desert bighorn scouting!

I have found more big bucks in late February than any other time of year. I try to get out as much as possible in February and March. Weather is nice, deer hunts are over, mostly post rut, bucks still have antlers, etc. If I find a nice buck in March I know he will be there in the Fall, at least that’s how it has always gone for me. My main problem, and not really a problem, is I have 4 boys, 2 of them teenagers, and it seems every weekend is dedicated to sports. I try not to miss any games. I can never get out in the hills as much as I want to. I’ve got a handful of spots marked that I want to check out, but it’s already gotten too hot until this coming Fall. When I am looking for new spots I look for areas that are a little more off the beaten path and harder to get to. That weeds out 95% of hunters. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, daryl_s said:

I have found more big bucks in late February than any other time of year. I try to get out as much as possible in February and March. Weather is nice, deer hunts are over, mostly post rut, bucks still have antlers, etc. If I find a nice buck in March I know he will be there in the Fall, at least that’s how it has always gone for me. My main problem, and not really a problem, is I have 4 boys, 2 of them teenagers, and it seems every weekend is dedicated to sports. I try not to miss any games. I can never get out in the hills as much as I want to. I’ve got a handful of spots marked that I want to check out, but it’s already gotten too hot until this coming Fall. When I am looking for new spots I look for areas that are a little more off the beaten path and harder to get to. That weeds out 95% of hunters. 

Honestly probably the best advice so far.  Like most people after season my mind shifts back to work if it already hasn't yet.  But I always end up seeing bucks with does when I'm no longer looking for them in February.  I'm gonna try and make this a point to actually get out and do.  

• Like 1

Oh I've definitely seen some great bucks pig hunting. And likely I should branch out while pig hunting, but as stated I am a creature of habit. So, I usually go to my faithful pig spots as well. Double whammy.

• Like 1