Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

New Mexico 2024

Planned a trip with my buddy to do some shed hunting and turkey for a few and got it done first morning here. Have not been here in a while and it was good to be back in some country i had not seen for a bit. Still here tell tursday and the birds we got into have really been the only thing we could find except one distant gobbler. Roosted two toms first evening here and got on them in morning. First light Nd they were gobbling in the trees. They fly down and go right to the hen and i thought it was over. We did a circle and got a hen to fire up and she walked the other two hens in with the two gobblers. The one tom strutted back and forth gobbling spitting and drumming at 20 yards not giving me a shot for what seemed like ten minutes while the other stayed a little back. All while then hen circle and puffed up and started fighting a little getting the gobblers fired up. They started to move a right and the tom that was a little back stepped out at ten yards and i dropped him. Great way to start the trip! Been trying to find another bird and we have been shed hunting! Just thought i would share sense i was asking how it was going in New Mexico.

IMG_7323.jpeg

IMG_7304.jpeg

IMG_7341.jpeg

• Like 11

Congrats!  I love hunting Turkeys in New Mexico!!!

Very nice, we just got back as well, struck out but found a few to play with and walked some new country. Didnt see one camp and maybe 2 folks drove by in 3 days. weather was awsome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a newbie to turkey hunting and retiring this coming fall from LEO, I am hoping to hunt whenever I can, including traveling outside of my home state of Arizona.  California and New Mexico are on my hit list for top states to hunt turkey both in the spring and fall depending on my luck in both the AZGFD and San Carlos Indian Reservation and would love to hear thoughts, YouTube makes it all look so simple and I know there is a lot of wilderness to cover for success, fortunately there is On X Hunt maps but if anyone would like to offer some suggestions, mentoring for NM and CA turkey hunts it would be greatly appreciated.