Sign in to follow this  
Riversnake

San Diego lodging

I'm a single Dad. I would like to take my 4 kids on a summer vacation to San Diego. If anyone has good lodging recommendations that would be greatly appreciated.  I have an 18, 17, 12 and 10 year old. Was looking at places to stay. It seems that $4-500 a night is most likely the cost. Thanks.

Like a lot of Zonies, I have been going every year for basically my entire life. Parents are long gone, but my siblings and I have kept up the tradition for our extended families.  Lately we’ve been staying in Mission Beach because the younger kids like it there. (I rent a four bedroom so there’s room for my young adults kids plus GFs/BFs and you’re right, it is NOT cheap!)

A couple of slightly lower cost alternatives are Carlsbad/Oceanside or Ocean Beach.  Maybe try browsing options in those areas??

Hope you find a good place and enjoy! 👊🏼

I grew up in the north county of San Diego area and have watched (from AZ) the population explode and areas that used to be 'quiet' (North County; Oceanside, Carlsbad) become VERY crowded during the summer. Mission Beach is a nice area, but lodging will be pricey, Carlsbad is extremely nice, again expensive. I would try and find a VRBO (house, condo) in North County, unless you're looking to hit the attractions in San Diego proper. At least with a house/condo, you can cook/bbq and save a little $$ on food. Carlsbad has some amazing beaches, restaurants and it's a little more low-key than San Diego. 

Hope this helps! 

• Like 1

Let me know if you hit up Carlsbad and want an Italian restaurant recommendation.

Low key, not in any touristy area, fresh pasta.