Sign in to follow this  
lfootmatt

Boy's first big game rifle, suggestions?

+1 for the .270 WSM. Don't let the "M" scare you - they kick like a regular .270 and have better ballistics. And if you handload, you can go really light for target sessions so they get comfortable with it, and even the standard OTC 130 gr. are going to have similar kick to the 25-06 depeding on the rifle. You can also go heavy for elk etc. if you want.

BTW, Gino - that .270 WSM Howa you traded for my .300 Wby (in part) is going to be the new "kid and wife" gun. I was able to buy a wood stock on Ebay for $12.50 that I'm gonna cut down and put a good simms recoil pad on. If recoil is still an issue I can have a brake installed for about $200. Gonna top it off with one of gr8fuldoug's Pentax scopes. I have a really good feeling about that gun. I've already seen some of the deer you guys have dumped with the .300 so I'm glad it's working out for you.

Good grief guys!

He said the kid is 12!

The 7-08 is a great choice for a kid. I really like the .260 Remington. 257 Roberts is a nice round but maybe too lite for elk.

Get him something sized for him now and look at the whiz-bangs when he gets older.

Not to start a sh!t, storm, but do you really think a .270 WSM is gonna kick harder than a 7-08? A handloaded 130 gr. or less .270 can be pretty darn light. Maybe your response was directed at something else - if so, my apologies.

Good grief guys!

He said the kid is 12!

The 7-08 is a great choice for a kid. I really like the .260 Remington. 257 Roberts is a nice round but maybe too lite for elk.

Get him something sized for him now and look at the whiz-bangs when he gets older.

+1 Our family has a 6.5x55 swede that has taken well over 30 coues deer in 3 generations, and elk. A 257 Roberts that is making waves. and a 7mm-08 that my daughter has a streak of one shot dumps with. We do have a couple of magnums around but plan your hunts around the 200 yard shot. Your boy will become a better hunter and when that 400 yard shot does present itself any of the previously mentioned calibers will do just fine. The older he gets the harder the elk tags will come, buy him something that he's comfortable shooting from rabbits to yearly deer hunts and the occasional elk hunts. You can never have enough guns, think about the ultimate rig as a graduation present?

Good grief guys!

He said the kid is 12!

+1 Our family has a 6.5x55 swede that has taken well over 30 coues deer in 3 generations, and elk. A 257 Roberts that is making waves. and a 7mm-08 that my daughter has a streak of one shot dumps with. We do have a couple of magnums around but plan your hunts around the 200 yard shot. Your boy will become a better hunter and when that 400 yard shot does present itself any of the previously mentioned calibers will do just fine. The older he gets the harder the elk tags will come, buy him something that he's comfortable shooting from rabbits to yearly deer hunts and the occasional elk hunts. You can never have enough guns, think about the ultimate rig as a graduation present?

Good point! I definitely don't want him to develop a flinch. He is one seriously big and tough kid, but he is still just a boy like any other. I'm leaning toward a 7MM something right now. Since I have a .300 SAUM I'm partial to the short mags. I guess I need to do some ballistics and felt recoil research. He can always saddle up to his dads old .300 if he needs it. 180 grain Barnes TSX at 3000 fps seems to work pretty well.

Thanks,

Matt

Not to start a sh!t, storm, but do you really think a .270 WSM is gonna kick harder than a 7-08? A handloaded 130 gr. or less .270 can be pretty darn light. Maybe your response was directed at something else - if so, my apologies.

Do I think the 270 Wizmer will kick more than a 7-08? Yes. Depending on the gun and the stock setup it could kick ALOT harder.

You can shoot a reduced load in the 270, but you can also reduce the 7-08.

I would still look at the .260.....

The general school of thought is the 140gr. is the best all around bullet

for the 7MM-08 and shoots flat with enough energy for Elk.

I am really leaning towards 120 or 130 for Coues in mine.

If your in Payson sometime he/you are welcome to shoot it

and to see how you like it.

If you reload, just about any of the good big game cartridges will do as you can adjust the load to his ability to handle it. I'm partial to the .270, although I started my 4 sons at age 10 or 11 with a Remington Mohawk .243 which they used for both carp and whitetails until they wanted something with more throw weight and a longer reach. The .257 caliber cartridges are great for deer sized game, and I shot a 25-06 for many years, but I am not enthused about using them for elk. For what it's worth. Jack

I did not see mentioned availability of ammunition. If you shoot some fancy type of wildcat round, and need to re-sight in during the hunt, or leave ammo at home, or run out, you could be in trouble. Just about any sporting goods store carries 300 mag, 30-06, .270, 7mm mag, and maybe .243. My son is 12, and has deer hunted for two years. I load for him .270, 110 grain bullets, at their lightest load, and they come out at 3050 f/s. He can shoot through 20 rounds without a complaint about recoil. .270 has my vote.

.270 all the way.

+1

My parents bought me a .270 for Christmas when I was 12 years old. I absolutely loved it then and still do now! It is still my primary hunting rifle and now I have my girlfriend shooting and hunting with it and she loves it as well.

-Tracy

With my Ruger #1 .257 Roberts and handloaded 115 g. Nosler partitions:

1 6pt. bull elk (about 200yrds)

1 cow elk (about 80 yrds)

1 83 pt. pronghorn (312 yrds)

many javelina (close to far)

2 4pt. mule deer (about 220-290yrds)

7 whitetail deer (real close/you would not believe how far)

coyotes-yes

1 turkey (when rifles were legal)

other things!

Think about it!

Here is some comparative ballistics at 600 yards (way past what 99% of people should shoot IMHO):

270 Winchester: (130 grain Nosler BT @ 3000fps)

yards - 600 drop - 58.5 in velocity - 1961 10mph crosswind drift - 25.2

.260 Remington: (130 grain Nosler BT @2800)

yards - 600 drop - 64.8 velocity - 1906 10mph crosswind drift - 24.1

Recoil:

.270 - 8 pound rifle - 16.5 lbs.

.260 - 7.5 pound rifle - 13 lbs

Both are pretty darn close. They are also inherently accurate.

The sectional density on the .26 caliber 140 gr is .287, the 270 with a 150 gr. is .279. A 140gr. premium bullet will get great penetration. I would not hesitate to shoot a cow elk with one.

I grew up shooting Dad's guns. They didn't fit right so they kicked more. Remington chambers the 260 in a youth model that will fit a kid.

Well, I spent way more than my $.02 on this topic, sorry. I am just trying to bust out of my paradigm that what worked for me will be good for my boy. I think there are better options out there...

These threads always amuse me :rolleyes:

The cartridge is just the metallic case that holds the powder! It's the bullet diameter and how fast it travels that are the real key.

My advice is that if you hand load, then pick a cartridge and go with it. The .308 based cartridges are all easy to laod and efficient. they are also suited for a short action rifle, which can be better for a youth. (.243, .260 Rem, 7mm-08, .308)

If you want a bit more power, than choose a caliber based on the .30-06, such as the .25-06, .270 win, .280 rem, .30-06, or one based on the 7x57 such as the .257 Roberts, 240 Rem, 7x57, or as one other poster mentioned the slightly shorter 6.5x55.

If a magnum is what you really want, then get one. Your choice. The 7MM mag, .300 WinMag, and .338WM are all good rounds.

As another poster pointed out, the Howa/Vanguard in the weatherby calibers is a decent rifle.

Your son will swear that recoil doesn't bother him, and he will brag at school about what a big caliber he shoots, but I'd bet money that after 20 rounds at the range he will shoot that 7mm-08, .243, .260 Rem better than the larger calibers. You will do him a favor if you choose one of these.

If he really needs something to brag about, then get him a bigger quad.

If you don't load your own ammo, then go to Wally World and look behind the counter. See what caliber ammo they carry and pick one of those. (.270, .30-06, .308, 7Mag)

For you fans of the short mags, I still think of them as a passing fad. :lol:

Whatever caliber you get him, he will instantly fall in love with it, as well as the make/model of rifle you get him, and he will probably love it for the rest of his life. He might even use it as his screen name :P or at least become fiercely loyal to it in this type of debate.

Bret