Sign in to follow this  
lfootmatt

Boy's first big game rifle, suggestions?

My oldest boy is due for his first big game rifle. He will be 12 in July and will likely have an elk cow tag this year.

I'm looking at 7mm-08, but would like suggestions on other options. He is 5'6" 115 very strong and has shot a .25-06 numerous times without complaint, or flinching.

I've been on a 5 month deployment that is nearing its end. During that time he has overcome numerous challenges, played 2 sports(well), and maintained straight As at a challenging Catholic school. He can be a PITA like any boy but has really stepped up and deserves to be rewarded with a real man's rifle.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Matt

I would go for the .270. I remember when I was about that age looking for my 1st rifle. I called every gun shop in town and got a Remington 760 pump in .270. I still shoot a .270 to this day. Good luck with your choice.

Look at the 7mm-08. My daughter shoots one and has taken deer, elk and javelina with it. She's a hundred pounder and doesn't seem fazed by the recoil. We shoot some pretty stiff reloads out of a New England Firearms youth model. You can pick one up and put a good scope on it for less than five bills.

I started my daughters with a .243, but both now shoot 7mm-08s. I started my grandsons on 7mm-08s with no problems, although they have moved along--one shoots a .270, one a .280 and the third one talked me out of my .257 AI. If your son can handle a .25-06, he can certainly handle anything based on the .308 or .30-06 cases.

For elk, a 7mm-08 will certainly do the job when loaded with a good bullet, and it's an ideal deer cartridge.

I bought my son a 25.06 when he turned 11 he has taken cow elk and coues with it :rolleyes:

i like the 270. short mag i also got a 13 year old son at 100lb and he shots it with no problems. u cant beat the ballistics on this gun espiacilly if you dont plan on hand loading u dont have much of a hold over at 300 yrds try this caliber and you wont go wrong great gun from hunting deer all the way up to elk

post-400-1233423087_thumb.jpg

post-400-1233423191_thumb.jpg

My dad got me a 25-06 for my 8th birthday and it was a great gun for me.. Its a great gun for young kids to start with... I actually hunted with it for almost 20 years intell I got my 300 win mag.

Honestly..... You got a lot of choices!!! ;)

The best recomendations I read above, IMO..... .270 or the .270 WSM.... both very good. The .270 has been the gun of choice in our family many times for the kids and wives.

However!!!

If you really want a gun that a young man will never put down in his lifetime and Never out grow, go with the .257 Wby!! I want one myself!!! I also like the .300 WSM if he is up to the challenge. Don't go with a gun that he is gunna out grow real fast.... God knows these kids grow WAY too fast and any gun can be toned down to fit the shooter. I have had some very young and light weight kids kill stuff with my .300 Wby and they love shooting it!! That is a lot to chew on.... but the .257 Wby and the .300 WSM would be the first 2 on my list for my own kids!!

BTW.... I know I am probably alone on this, but you could not pay me to put a 7mm-08 in my kids hands.... sorry.... :rolleyes:

If your not wonting to step up to the larger calibers like the .270 or .280 (not that they are that big) then I think the 7mm08 is the best choice. Its just hard to beat that 7mm bullet.

Another option is the 257 Roberts. I have used one and taken many deer with it. The down fall to that caliber is if your not doing your own reloads than ammo can be a little challenging at times, but it is a great caliber for varmints and deer size game.

Honestly..... You got a lot of choices!!! ;)

The best recomendations I read above, IMO..... .270 or the .270 WSM.... both very good. The .270 has been the gun of choice in our family many times for the kids and wives.

However!!!

If you really want a gun that a young man will never put down in his lifetime and Never out grow, go with the .257 Wby!! I want one myself!!! I also like the .300 WSM if he is up to the challenge. Don't go with a gun that he is gunna out grow real fast.... God knows these kids grow WAY too fast and any gun can be toned down to fit the shooter. I have had some very young and light weight kids kill stuff with my .300 Wby and they love shooting it!! That is a lot to chew on.... but the .257 Wby and the .300 WSM would be the first 2 on my list for my own kids!!

BTW.... I know I am probably alone on this, but you could not pay me to put a 7mm-08 in my kid hands.... sorry.... :rolleyes:

All right I have to ask, why don't you like the 7mm08. I don't have one but I have read and talked to a lot of people that own one and they love it. I always like to hear why people don't like a caliber.

"BTW.... I know I am probably alone on this, but you could not pay me to put a 7mm-08 in my kids hands.... sorry.... :rolleyes: "

<_< :angry:

What about when you talked to me about borrowing mine

Here is another vote for 7MM-08

My girls have taken Javi's. Deer, Antelope and Elk with there

Remington Model 7

I will be mine gun of choice if packing in on a WT hunt

and do not want to pack my big heavy 7MM Mag.

I just really feel the 7MM is the ideal all around bullet

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd really like to put him in a rifle he can grown into, youth stock now and a nice full size one for later.

He is a big boy, 11 yrs, 5'6", 115-120, and not the slightest sign of puberty yet. He racks through light 12 gauge loads and begs for more. So he can take some recoil.

I shoot a .300 SAUM 180 grains at just a hair under 3000 fps, consistently under 7/8" 3 shot groups at 200 yards, but it is a thumper.

I'm partial to the short mags, I just wish I hadn't picked the wildcat of the bunch.

Perhaps .300 RUM is a bit much for the boy just yet. Reduced recoil loads and muzzle brake???

7mm or .300 WSM has a nice ring to it.

I'm rambling since I just came off 16 hours on my 126th work day in a row. Time to go to bed.

Thanks and keep the input coming. I always value a healthy debate!

Matt

Whatever caliber you end up choosing, take a look at the Weatherby Vanguard that comes with two (2) synthetic stocks, one youth-size and the 2nd for later when he's grown a bit. Reasonably priced and a nice gun!

[quote name='lfootmatt' date='Jan 31 2009, 03:58 AM' post='137530' deserves to be rewarded with a real man's rifle.

Then get him the .25-06 ;)