Sign in to follow this  
TrackerG

San Carlos unit B and C

On 2/21/2024 at 10:17 PM, TrackerG said:

I recently drew a San Carlos Coues deer tag for Unit B in November of this coming year, my old man has the same timeframe in unit C. I know its a long shot, but does anyone have any recommendations? Portions of the units to focus on? Areas to stay away from? Deer populations? are the deer real pockety or are they a little more widespread like the souther AZ units? I plan on scouting in the early velvet and getting up into the mountains 3 days before the hunts start. Thanks for any help. 

They only allow you to scout 2 days before your hunt. I had the Jan B tag this year. Spent 9 days there looking for a giant. Passed up roughly 10 bucks a day. There is a bad big 2pt genetic there and lots of small bucks are plentiful. Saw (1) buck around the 120” mark but he was so far out that we couldn’t get to him in time. I think this year will be a better horn growth year as last year they were droughted out a bit.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ruthunter said:

They only allow you to scout 2 days before your hunt. I had the Jan B tag this year. Spent 9 days there looking for a giant. Passed up roughly 10 bucks a day. There is a bad big 2pt genetic there and lots of small bucks are plentiful. Saw (1) buck around the 120” mark but he was so far out that we couldn’t get to him in time. I think this year will be a better horn growth year as last year they were droughted out a bit.

Good info.  Did you car camp or backpack?  Were the 10 bucks/day shot opportunities or just observed?  Sounds like not enough hunt pressure on the smaller bucks, well duh, not for that amount of $$!.

• Like 1

Yes they changed the guide requirement for Unit D. Which I drew the 3rd Jan hunt for 25'. Anybody else draw? Never hunted the San Carlos, should be fun.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 8:37 PM, ruthunter said:

Thats great to know, if you don't mind me asking, was the population spread throughout the unit? or did you find a better deer population up high? Down low? Ect. Thanks 

On 5/7/2024 at 7:17 AM, forepaw said:

Good info.  Did you car camp or backpack?  Were the 10 bucks/day shot opportunities or just observed?  Sounds like not enough hunt pressure on the smaller bucks, well duh, not for that amount of $$!.

I could have killed bucks everyday easily. I was looking for a mega. Camped off warm springs road.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ruthunter said:

I could have killed bucks everyday easily. I was looking for a mega. Camped off warm springs road.

There was a fire going on in there recently, not sure of the status of it.