Putting the coding ammo bill rumor to rest

Published on Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:09 PM MST

Editor:

I would like to put rumors to rest about the Ammunition Accountability Act proposed last legislative session and let the gun-owning community know it is my intention to make sure this bill never sees the light of day.

Many within the gun-owning community are nervous about this legislation and rightly so. But I want you to know this bill was never put on an agenda in its originating chamber, which means it died and never had a chance of passing last session.

For background, last year's proposed legislation required the manufacturer to code all ammunition in a database on every ammunition sale. Doing so would track how much ammunition was purchased, by whom and what calibers. All ammunition that is not coded must be destroyed. The provisions of this bill would also charge gun owners an additional 5-cent tax on every round.

If this same legislation is introduced again this session, I will work to ensure the bill dies once again.

Let me be clear about my position on this issue: Every single one of those provisions is totally unacceptable. I will work to ensure that this bill goes nowhere again so gun owners can rest easy. Opposing this legislation is at the top of my agenda.

The gun-owning community has nothing to fear regarding this issue in Arizona. This issue received no support in the Legislature, and given the new makeup of the body this year, this bill will have absolutely no support again.

Bill Konopnicki

Arizona House of Representatives

Phoenix

that's good for Az. what the feds do is another story. i know i ain't waitin' on em. i had a lot before. but now i'm gonna get all the reloading supplies i can. probably a rumor, but one guy, who ain't an idiot, told me to buy primers. said there were folks working to limit or outlaw them. cheapest part of ammo is primers. you also can't shoot without em. be vigilant. Lark.

Its great to hear a Rep. oppose this so strongly. We need to keep in constant contact with our Senators and Reps. With the new Obama administration taking power, our hunting and 2nd Amendment rights will be under constant attack like never before. The NRA convention is here in Phoenix this year and we need to send a powerful message to the people who want to restrict and take away our rights that we are ready and willing to take them on. Wayne LaPierre from the NRA was here in AZ this week to meet with convention volunteers. He is dedicated to the cause and will fight to the end for our rights. The biggest push will be to increase membership in the NRA. If we can double membership- that is a powerful message to our enemies. Some people have issues with the NRA, but in this climate we need to unite. If not the NRA, join another group like GOA or SAF. If we don't put up a strong, united front then we will end up like England, Canada and Australia. Every hunter and gun owner needs to GET INVOVLVED AND GET BUSY!! Our rights depend on it. :o

if you'd like more info on what states ARE bringing this forward, here you go. Also a link to a group with more info on the proposal.....

----------------------------

I can not believe with the amount of hunters and shooting enthusiast in PA that the legislature can pass such a thing but if they do just remember some of you wanted change and now you got it. enjoy.........

Its already started...Ammunition Accountability Legislation

Remember how Obama said that he wasn't going to take your guns? Well, it seems that his minions and allies in the anti-gun world have no problem with taking your ammo!

The bill that is being pushed in 18 states requires all ammunition to be encoded by the manufacture, providing a data base of all Ammunition sales.

So they will know how much you buy and what calibers. Nobody can sell any ammunition after June 30, 2009 unl ess the ammunition is coded.

Any privately held uncoded ammunition must be destroyed by July 1, 2011.

(Including hand loaded ammo.) They will also charge a .05 cent tax on every round so every box of ammo you buy will go up at least $2.50 or more!

If they can deprive you of ammo they do not need to take your guns!

This legislation is currently pending in 18 states: Alabama , Arizona , California , Connecticut , Hawaii , Illinois , Indiana , Kentucky , Maryland , Mississippi , Missouri, New Jersey, New York , Pennsylvania , Rhode Island , South Carolina, Tennessee , and Washington .

Send to your friends in these states AND fight to dissolve this BILL!!

To find more about the anti-gun group that is sponsoring this legislation and the specific legislation for each state, go to:

http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm