Sign in to follow this  
AZcoyotehunter

new rifle

my brother is looking for a new big game rifle and has been thinking about the 260 rem. (I dont know why) and wants some more opinions so what do ya'll think?

whats the trajectory like, hows the knok down power. would it tear up somthing like a javelina? any info would be great thanks. by the way recoil is not a factor for him.

300 Wby Mag. all the way!!! ;) Perfect all around gun... you can tone them down with a break and a good pad if need be. We have had 65lb eleven year olds make one shot kills at 450 yds with mine! ;)

.300 wby mag (and all wby mags) SUCK if you dont reload. They are expensive as all get out for factory loadings.

Another vote for the 7mag. Great round, and factory ammo is affordable. How about a .270wsm? I absolutely love mine and it kills like the hammer of Thor!

I had a 260 in the Rem LSS Mtn configuration. It was a pleasure to shoot. With a sleek bullet like the 130 gr Swift Scirocco or Nosler Accubond, it will do fine on deer. I figured mine had enough E and V for Coues out past 600 yards. Not what I would choose for elk but a friend killed a bull with his out past 400 yards. It is ballistically similar to the 6.5x55 Swede, which has killed a lot of moose over there. With a 95 gr V-Max, it is killer on coyotes, but not pelt friendly.

You can compare some factory ammo ballistics here

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx

Why .260 Rem?

I've considered that cartridge but it has it's limitations.

Will he handload or buy factory ammo? Makes a difference on what is available.

If he is buyin' he is better off with a more widely available caliber like .30-06 or .270 Win, or the venerable .308

If he likes the "magnums" he should consider the tried and true 7mm.

Lots of coices, but what it boils down to is the bullet diameter (in this case .264), weight, muzzle velocity, and distance.

If he wants to shoot past 300 yards he is better off with a 30-06 variant such as 25-06, 270, 280 rem, or 30-06.

If he wants a short action gun, then the .260 rem is a good choice, but I would not recommend it if he does not handload, and shots over 300 yards will start to see alot of bullet drop.

So, I would choose that for deer/coyote/antelope if I wanted to stay with a short action rifle and I was a handloader.

If I had to choose for a short action rifle for somebody who will be buying ammo, I'd recommend a .308 Win.

If the short action is not the deciding factor, I'd chose a different caliber, such as ..270win, 30-06 or 7MM for an all around rifle for someone who will be buying ammo, and if they handload, it depends on personal preference. I choose a .280 Rem for an all-around caliber.

Notice I didn't mention magnums? If he was interested in the "power" of a magnum he wouldn't ask about the .260 Rem.

Is that as clear as mud?

Bret

why hasn't anyone suggested the 300 rum? its a pretty good gun.

My 7 mm Remington Magnum has taken everything from big red deer, wildebeest, waterbuck, elk, eland and moose all the way down to critters as small as 10-pound grysbok with no problem. So will the .243, .257, .260, .270, and dozens of others.

Caliber, velocity and bullet weight are not as important as proper bullets and proper bullet placement. Pick something you shoot well, and stay with it. The largest elk in Arizona can be killed in its tracks with a .22-250.

Incidentally, I don't know anyone -- even the best shooters I know -- who can be absolutely certain of proper bullet placement under field conditions at distances over 300 yards.

Bill Quimby