gregb

Howa mini action 6.5 Grendel

I bought this. I already have 22" sporter barrel versions in 6.5 grendel and 6 ARC. They don't shoot real well until you drop them in a Bell & Carlson stock. Night and day difference with groups around 3/4 with factory ammo and 1/2" with reloads or better. You can clip a coil off the trigger spring or replace with a Timney which also makes a big difference.  Some folks say they shoot 1/2" as they come from factory but I haven't seen it yet.

• Like 3

I appreciate the reply. With it being a howa I’ve heard it compared to a vanguard and what you described sounds similar. Thank you! 

2 hours ago, Nitemann said:

I bought this. I already have 22" sporter barrel versions in 6.5 grendel and 6 ARC. They don't shoot real well until you drop them in a Bell & Carlson stock. Night and day difference with groups around 3/4 with factory ammo and 1/2" with reloads or better. You can clip a coil off the trigger spring or replace with a Timney which also makes a big difference.  Some folks say they shoot 1/2" as they come from factory but I haven't seen it yet.

• Like 1

Watch torquing the action screws on a Howa. You can tighten the front screw too much. It is in the recoil lug and it pulls the front of the receiver down and the rear lifts a little. The action pivots right behind the recoil lug. Then, when you tighten the rear it bends the action. Have to go slow and keep it seated flat in the stock. Torque it high, just keep it flat. 

If you torque it wrong, groups will open up. 

For those who asked I adjusted the trigger down to 2lbs and added a 6x18 Leupold scope. With Hornady match ammo it's shooting 1/2" at 100yds for 3 shot group. Still waiting for Bell and Carlson to have a sale on their stocks but doubt if it will have any effect on the groups like it did on the 22" sporter barrel models. All in all, i'm happy.