Sign in to follow this  
wbyfireman

Rifle scope help needed!!

I am going on a guided hunt in October of 09' for Elk in northern Wyoming :P and need a good, preferably high power rifle scope for around 500$ that Im going to put on a 300 Weatherby mag. I looked at several, but am leaning toward the Burris Signature Select 4-16X44, over the Bushnells, and the Nikon Monarch. Anyone compared these, or those who have any info regarding these or other scopes in this price range please let me know what you think.

PS (I havent been drawn in my home state for 10 years now, so I am having to go elsewhere to finally hunt for elk) kind of a pity if you ask me.

Thanks

Has your outfitter mentioned the terrain and cover you will be hunting in and the lengths of shots to expect?

What will you be using the rifle for after the elk hunt?

For use in the timber, consider the field of view at low power.

You should be able to find the Leupold VX-III 3.5-10 discounted about 80 bucks and under $500 as they are upgrading the line to VX3. The Burris Select and Bushnell 4200 should be good also. Without turrets, the ballistic plex/B&C type reticle would be handy if you will use the rig in open country.

Sorry about the lack of AZ elk steaks in your freezer. With ten years of pink slips, you should have 12 BP and can likely draw about any rifle bull hunt, unless you have been holding out for an early bull hunt.

Leupold's are always good scopes to look at. They have been around a while and have good customer service/warranty.

The outfitter told me to expect differsnt types of terrain (whatever that means) but he says its best to have your "scope zero'd in at at least 200yds" And yes I would love a zeiss!!!!! But what the mind wants and what the wallet can afford are two different things. I have put in for the general muzzleloader hunt and still cant seem to get drawn :( oh well I suppose it just makes me appreciate it more when I do finally pull a tag in my home state.

thx for the replies

I do not know what muzzy elk hunt you are applying for, but the 20% pass for the Nov muzz bull hunt in 6A got to those with 6 BP. If you are applying for a Sept bull tag, that is akin to an early rifle bull and odds are long and one can expect a long wait before drawing.

You can check your chances here. Hunt numbers are the 2008 numbers.

http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/documents/b.../1-2%20Pass.pdf