lousyhunter

Is a guided hunt as satisfying as do-it yourself?

Hey Lousy, good question and thanks for asking. Like a few others, I could go on and on about this topic, but I'll try to just explain my thoughts on the subject and your inquiry.

You have a little misunderstanding illustrated in your first post......"if the satisfaction was still the same knowing that all the "hunting" was done for you?"

If this were true, and it honestly could be in a "High Fence" situation, it would not be the same or even close to being as satisfying! The misunderstanding is that a guide or outfitter has NOT done ALL the hunting for you, YOU are the hunter and YOU will be doing the hunting. Even if a guide has scouted a particular trophy animal for you, knows exactly where he sleeps, drinks and eats........there's still no guarantee that animal will be there on opening day or even the last day, especially when the crowds of hunters show up! There are so many variables that take place on any public land hunt that your guide has no control over..... hunters, weather, moon phase, migration, predation, and even breakage during the rut. These variables are what makes a guide a valuable tool on your hunt.....they "hopefully" know what to do to overcome the obsticles and "HELP" you find the animal you're after or another one that meets your expectations. YOU the hunter, will need to hunt just as hard and will need to be able to make the shot just the same whether or not you have a guide... hiring a guide spares you the frustrations of scouting and valuable time away from work or family, and can be a huge asset to ya when those variables change your hunt! As you made reference to, some people enjoy the scouting, and that is true but that doesn't rule out the usefulness of a guide! Some, very few, guides will allow you to tag along during their scouting and help you gain an even greater experience in the process if that is something you wish to do. As a guide and outfitter here, my #1 goal on any hunt is to provide the best experience i can for my client and help him/her make the most of the tag. The one thing I always strive for is helping our clients gain the full experience of the hunt......not just show up and shoot!!!

I honestly hope one day you can experience a great hunt with a good guide, to work your butt off, glassing, hiking, dealing with all the successes and failures of the hunt and to end up on the last day with a hard earned trophy....with your guide working hard right by your side the whole time.....it maybe a different experience, but in no way is it less rewarding or less satisfying! Just my $.02 JIM> ;)

Years ago I was drawn for Antelope here in Az. I was very busy at work and had dreams of taking a B&C buck. I knew with September trade shows and getting my prodict ready in August I wouldn't have the time to get out and scout. I hired a guide in early August and he did the hard work for me. There was another issue I had and that was that I can't judge antelope for crap. I met him the day before season opened and he shared what he and his friends had found. We looked at quite a few bucks that he had found and none of them were what I wanted. He showed

me 3 times as many animals as I could have possibly found on my own. On the 4th day after not seeing any "new" bucks show up he took me somewhere I would never have gone and I harvested a respectable (but not B&C) buck. It wasn't the best animal we had seen but it was my choice to not take any of the others. For my circumstances it was well worth the money for the experience. We even watched a couple of mulies for about an hour that had 48 points between the 2 of them. I learned a lot more from this hunt than most any I've been on. A couple years later

this same guide came over to the unit when I had an elk tag and "helped me". That bull is on the wall in my game room "350". I have been to Mexico twice and the Cowboy Guides are more than helpful at getting you to a location where you have the best chances at finding quality animals. As long as you're hunting open land without a high fence it's still hunting as far as I'm concerned. EBB

I think the answer to your question could be answered by you and only you. My suggestion is to start saving some money up and do your research on what you want to hunt and which guide to use and go on a guided hunt! You tell me if you feel like it is too easy or unsatisfying to harvest a great animal and learn how the real pros do things. I think if nothing else you would learn a whole lot and probably even start saving some more cash for next year!

I have no desire to hunt out of the State of Arizona or for exotics - if I did, I'd probably get a guide. If you live in Arizona, I encourage you to hunt without a guide as nothing will be more satisfying than teaching yourself to become a coues hunter.

I would never encourage anyone to get a guide or "be" a guide as I've seen great hunters get burned out on hunting because they pull big trophies for people who don't want to do their homework.

I have nothing against guides - some are really great guys - some are low lifes.

I would be remiss if I didn't explain why my username is what it is - "Simple Hunter" stands for maximizing the challenge by using the least amount of technology. Don't get me wrong, I'm not shooting recurves but I get way more exhilaration with a bow. I also hunt with a rifle - but if I had the choice I'd hunt with a bow.

To each his own - but I would never encourage someone to hire a guide.

I would like to throw in my own two sense! There is nothing more rewarding in life then to do something on your own and be succesful. That being said there are still alot of ways in which a guide is needed if you do not know the unit and do not have the time to scout the unit and dont know alot or consider yourself a seasoned hunter than i think it is a must for those people! You could hurt someone or worse hurt someone else! There are many different reasons. And after this season what I have seen there is good reason for why they are so profitable. You take it for granted that everyone that goes hunting knows what they are doing. I was on a few elk hunt this year and came across hunters that did not know how to gut an elk! What needed to come out and how to skin and prepare their animals for the butcher! If you do not know what you are doing that tag that took you soooo long to draw means nothing because you dont know what to do with it when it is killed! I field dressed a total of 2 bulls and 2 cows this years and not to mention the many camps I passed with the heads of the elk still on the body passed day 3 with the esophagus still probably in the animals. So yes it is more rewarding to take an animal on your own with all the work being done by yourself but for those who are first time hunters or those still learning the sport there is more to hunting than just harvesting the animal!

Keep Couesin!!!!!!!

I have been on a guided hunt here in Az, and let me tell you, I had to work my butt off.

By no means was it a point and shoot situation. I didn't feel like I lost any precious moments because I had a guide. In fact, I felt like I learned alot.

Would I do it again? Yes, if money allowed.

Guest 300ultramag.

Im not not one to badmouth people online but this thread is rediculous!

Im not not one to badmouth people online but this thread is rediculous!

+1 some people love the work of hunting, some people are lazy, some people don't know what a animal looks like but want to kill one. It's all part of the sport. :lol: :lol: I personlly like watching the hunting shows where some fat Bastard can barley walk 500yds panting like a dog and about falls on himself the whole time and when he bags his game he's so proud, now how would that guy have done it without his guide. ;) whatever floats your boat

Guest 300ultramag.

People hunt for many different reasons some prefer the end result and they are satisfied,

others enjoy the trial and error along with the many different challenges.. others do it for the sake of making a great shot at a minimum opportunity presented, others hunt soley for food on the table.. For me the main reason why I hunt is "God Country" and the other is when im hunting there is nothing on my mind, but "the hunt" and i love that sort of clarity.. I often come home empty handed and beat up but I can guarantee on that hunt not once did I think about money, bills,jobs,honey-dos,eating,sleeping,etc...so what ever reason makes you enjoy hunting.. is not going to be the same as the next guy....... so why put them down or discredit there tactics....... to get back on the subject....... everyone has guided and/or been guided by someone. :angry: unless ur richard simmons that guy is a heck of a hunter.....

Holly Crap! :blink: BTW Special Note To EVERYONE! DON"T GO TO THE GRAND CANYON!!!!! :blink:

I went there and there was a paved road the whole way! And holy crap there were tons of people and stores and sidewalks! And what ruined it the worst was someone had built RAILS along the edge so you couldn't fall in so easy! <_< You will get no joy out of it at all! :(

But heck, I should have known the trip was doomed from the start when I decided we didn't have enough time to journy the whole family up there on foot to get the whole do it yourself experience! Nope we screwed up from the start when we decided to take the family car. And dangit, I didn't even build the car myself so there was no posible way I could have ever gotten any joy out of driving it! Much less having my family in the dang thing! :(

Nope, don't bother going! it's no longer a "Do It Yourself Experience" so its not worth it!

I don't even know why I even bother going outside when I didn't even make my own clothing to wear. :ph34r:

And how can I get any joy out of this website when I didn't make it myself. Dang this thred sucks! I didn't even make the PC I'm typing on :o

I'm so dang dependent on everybody else how can I live with my pridefull self? :unsure:

Haha :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: Yall crack me up! :lol: ;)

Its OK... ;) To each his own! Its things like this that devide hunters and get more and more of our hunting fredoms taken away each year!

I would never turn down good hunting help from a friend. I would stick my pride where it belongs and envite all the help I could use! I am a guide and I would hire a guide. The clients I hunt with are like hunting with good friends. The hunts are well earned, well deserved and oh so memorable! The Outdoors are ment to be shared!

Smile :rolleyes: Its ok that people are different. As long as they arn't trying to take away your hunting rights! :P

Lance

Holly Crap! :blink: BTW Special Note To EVERYONE! DON"T GO TO THE GRAND CANYON!!!!! :blink:

I went there and there was a paved road the whole way! And holy crap there were tons of people and stores and sidewalks! And what ruined it the worst was someone had built RAILS along the edge so you couldn't fall in so easy! <_< You will get no joy out of it at all! :(

But heck, I should have known the trip was doomed from the start when I decided we didn't have enough time to journy the whole family up there on foot to get the whole do it yourself experience! Nope we screwed up from the start when we decided to take the family car. And dangit, I didn't even build the car myself so there was no posible way I could have ever gotten any joy out of driving it! Much less having my family in the dang thing! :(

Nope, don't bother going!

I don't even know why I even bother going outside when I didn't even make my own clothing to wear. :ph34r:

And how can I get any joy out of this website when I didn't make it myself. Dang this thred sucks! I didn't even make the PC I'm typing on :o

I'm so dang dependent on everybody else how can I live with my pridefull self? :unsure:

Haha :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: Yall crack me up! :lol: ;)

Its OK... ;) To each his own! Its things like this that devide hunters and get more and more of our hunting fredoms taken away each year!

I would never turn down good hunting help from a friend. I would stick my pride where it belongs and envite all the help I could use! I am a guide and I would hire a guide. The clients I hunt with are like hunting with good friends. The hunts are well earned, well deserved and oh so memorable! The Outdoors are ment to be shared!

Smile :rolleyes: Its ok that people are different. As long as they arn't trying to take away your hunting rights! :P

Lance

Lance have you been hugging that hippie again? The first part of your response could only be understood by a lotus eater if you know what I mean ;) . The second part was so touchy feely (celebrating hunting diversity?) it makes me want to gather all the guides , fat cats, fat hunters, scab hunters, and even a couple of the salt guys for one big group hug. :o

Bob

PS I agree with you. Hunters need to stop judging each other over methods. Its not a competition and there is more than one "right way" to hunt.

Hey Lousy, good question and thanks for asking. Like a few others, I could go on and on about this topic, but I'll try to just explain my thoughts on the subject and your inquiry.

You have a little misunderstanding illustrated in your first post......"if the satisfaction was still the same knowing that all the "hunting" was done for you?"

If this were true, and it honestly could be in a "High Fence" situation, it would not be the same or even close to being as satisfying! The misunderstanding is that a guide or outfitter has NOT done ALL the hunting for you, YOU are the hunter and YOU will be doing the hunting. Even if a guide has scouted a particular trophy animal for you, knows exactly where he sleeps, drinks and eats........there's still no guarantee that animal will be there on opening day or even the last day, especially when the crowds of hunters show up! There are so many variables that take place on any public land hunt that your guide has no control over..... hunters, weather, moon phase, migration, predation, and even breakage during the rut. These variables are what makes a guide a valuable tool on your hunt.....they "hopefully" know what to do to overcome the obsticles and "HELP" you find the animal you're after or another one that meets your expectations. YOU the hunter, will need to hunt just as hard and will need to be able to make the shot just the same whether or not you have a guide... hiring a guide spares you the frustrations of scouting and valuable time away from work or family, and can be a huge asset to ya when those variables change your hunt! As you made reference to, some people enjoy the scouting, and that is true but that doesn't rule out the usefulness of a guide! Some, very few, guides will allow you to tag along during their scouting and help you gain an even greater experience in the process if that is something you wish to do. As a guide and outfitter here, my #1 goal on any hunt is to provide the best experience i can for my client and help him/her make the most of the tag. The one thing I always strive for is helping our clients gain the full experience of the hunt......not just show up and shoot!!!

I honestly hope one day you can experience a great hunt with a good guide, to work your butt off, glassing, hiking, dealing with all the successes and failures of the hunt and to end up on the last day with a hard earned trophy....with your guide working hard right by your side the whole time.....it maybe a different experience, but in no way is it less rewarding or less satisfying! Just my $.02 JIM> ;)

Great post Jim!

Not sure why people see that a hunter had a guide and they believe some how that it was easy and a guaranteed hunt. I helped a guy years ago on an elk hunt. It was a unit I was very familiar with and had hunted and scouted there for about 6 years. I only hunted as hard as it seemed he wanted and was able to! I do not consider my self a ball buster when I hunt but if need be I can and will. I got a lot of rest on that hunt compared to one of my own. Then on the way home in my truck with my gas he says I think next time I get an elk tag I will get a guide!!! The rest of the one sided conversation (because I quit talking) was how they would do all the work and all he had to do was tag along and shoot his elk. No,I do not hunt with him anymore!

Lousy,

Hunting here in AZ I do not think I would hire a guide just because I feel the scouting and getting out and finding animals is just part of my hunts that I enjoy so much.

Out of state I would hire a guide if money permitted. And if I had a guide I would still feel the same as if it was a DIY hunt because I know I would do all I could to harvest what I was hunting for guide or no guide.

Great question by the way.

If a guided hunt was to be considered [not really hunting], Then you going hunting in the honey hole your dad showed you probably shouldn't be either. If hunting is to be considered the location of game only I would assume you probably shouldn't return to the honey hole you found last year either, To do so may be looked upon as selfish or unsportsmanlike, I suppose you would have to leave it for someone else to find now and move on to another spot your not so familiar with. That being said I believe the term [hunting] must surely apply to all that enjoy the great outdoors with a rifle in their hands. The fundamental difference between hunters and guided hunters is the guided hunter pays providing a benefit to the local economy, and the other doesn't. We have all at one time or another went somewhere on a hot tip from a friend or family member. I personally have been on one guided hunt in my life but I was able to afford it only because the guide was new and had never hunted the area or the species we were after. I ended up with nothing more than a camp cook and that was fine with me I had possibly one of the greatest hunts of my life. Guided hunters in many cases bring a lot to the table. First of all most of them that Ive met have a few dollars and are strong supporters of hunting and second amendment rights. We all need to be mindful of the things we say and not offend other sportsman with our own standard's as to how we believe it should be weather it is guided, out of state or out of town hunters. Stand together for divided we will surely fall.

Lance--that was hilarious and well stated!! :)

I guide--i love to guide and the people i guide may not fly from their home thousands of miles away to pre-scout but at the same time they don't come out to just shoot either. Sure, there are times when a client shows up and everything comes together but most of the time we have to hunt and he or she is right next to me looking as hard as i am to find that animal. I guide antelope hunters most of the time and i am blessed in the sense that i can judge antelope pretty well--most of the antelope hunters that come out would shoot the first 13 to 14 inch buck they see--not because they are lousy hunters but because they just do not know what they are looking at when it comes to antelope.

Last year i had a 75 year old client in New Mexico--he has been hunting his entire life and he has taken many good animals--in fact he lives in Cody, Wyoming! He has shot dozens of antelope but he has never put one in the books--he hired Tony Grimmett and Tony hired me to take him out---we had a beautiful buck at first light that would make anyone proud but because his prongs flared out and his bases were thin he wouldn't make the books--most hunters would have cracked him on the spot thinking he was an 83 to 84" buck but he would barley make 78"--maybe next year he will make it but not this year.

We hunted most of the day looking for a monster i wanted him to kill but that buck must have slipped off to the other ranch next door--so, because he hired a guide and the guide knew what he was looking at and where number 2 was, we went after a buck i had named spooky--he was just that and we had to get on our feet and hunt this buck hard--the client was warn out when we finally got his 87" buck back to the truck and he stated "This is the best hunt i have ever been on!" are you kidding me? he is that old and this was the best hunt he had been on! Wow--i guess the satisfaction for him was better than he had ever had--i was obviously happy he felt that way.

I could go on and on but the bottom line is we all hunt but we all do not have the same amount of time or the resources to spend on a full fledged scouting trip--especially when you live a long ways from where you will hunt.

Guiding is for some and there is nothing wrong with it--if you don't need a guide then you are blessed to live in the place you will hunt but if you ever head to Alaska, or even Montana or Wyoming get ready to feel totally lost because you won't have a clue where to start hunting and that is where guides come in to the equation.