Sign in to follow this  
Big or Bust

What's for dinner tonight?

1 hour ago, savagman said:

Fried up some Bartlett Bass and Crappie last night.  Used carp in a crappie fritter recipe.... Deliciousness. 

I know, many of you will poo poo carp but it's great.  The fritter recipe starts with poaching the fish.  It was fairly easy at that point to pull out the y bones.  

Leftovers for lunch in the form of fish tacos.  Can't beat fish tacos.  

How big were the Carp? Did you cut out the blood line (red flesh)?

They were good size but not huge - 3 to 4 lbs?  I always cut out the lateral line - with bass and crappie mostly to get rid of the pin bones.  But that pink or red colored flesh is stronger flavored.  I trim out about 1/4 inch in the middle of the fillet.  It essentially turns 1 fillet into 2.  On the carp there is a lot more red flesh.  I also take the initial fillet and slice off that red flesh as best as I can.  

With that said, the little that remained when I cooked it was slightly stronger flavored but not unpleasant.  The y bones are my only complaint with carp.  Just have to be careful or in this case remove them before making the fritters. My first carp meal was cooked by a sweet gal from Bandledesh.  We ate with our fingers (no fork or chop sticks).  The way it was cut and prepared, the fish naturally broke at the y bones.  Made eating the fish like chicken wings.  Took some practice but easy peasy and delicious.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, savagman said:

They were good size but not huge - 3 to 4 lbs?  I always cut out the lateral line - with bass and crappie mostly to get rid of the pin bones.  But that pink or red colored flesh is stronger flavored.  I trim out about 1/4 inch in the middle of the fillet.  It essentially turns 1 fillet into 2.  On the carp there is a lot more red flesh.  I also take the initial fillet and slice off that red flesh as best as I can.  

With that said, the little that remained when I cooked it was slightly stronger flavored but not unpleasant.  The y bones are my only complaint with carp.  Just have to be careful or in this case remove them before making the fritters. My first carp meal was cooked by a sweet gal from Bandledesh.  We ate with our fingers (no fork or chop sticks).  The way it was cut and prepared, the fish naturally broke at the y bones.  Made eating the fish like chicken wings.  Took some practice but easy peasy and delicious.

As a kid back east I would ride my bike to a reservoir about five mile away and fish for them and once in a while catch a 10 lber but most were under a pound. Once I kept one and cooked it in a skillet in spaghetti sauce. I was probably 11 or so and fished that place as soon as the ice melted off until November. In about May they would stock it with Trout which didn't  last long, maybe a month until they were all caught.

It ain't easy controlling my waist size..

lemme add, the tomatoes, jalapeños and oregano came from our garden.20240802_202008.thumb.jpg.985befc89875ac0a04c6c6f5a946354e.jpg

20240802_203209.jpg

• Like 8

Interesting...

30 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Not dinner exactly, but made Prickly pear syrup

3CB90F39-0603-4839-AEE3-9F3DD51E307A.jpeg

I've never made it but I remember Amanda posting some recipes a long time ago.

46 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Dinner is served 

74FA5686-B365-44E9-BBFC-D41D42AC08F2.jpeg

Was thinking today if I went to make some syrup 

• Like 1

Always nice to be able to drink dinner. Ain't nobody got time for chewin

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2