Sign in to follow this  
Big or Bust

What's for dinner tonight?

King salmon I caught yesterday 

20240728_182134.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Whatever the lady has packed me for dinner at work. She never disappoints thats for sure!

Second or third time you’ve posted this itt with no pics. Post the meals so we can judge her 

• Haha 1

My spin on Mexican Seafood soup. Took two hours to make. Gray Squash, Pasilla Peppers, Roma Tomatoes, Bay Leaves, Anise, Octopus, Shrimp, Grilled Corn, Sliced Carrots.

image.png.38362785a0cd8d44ce5e54847e5538b9.png

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

My spin on Mexican Seafood soup. Took two hours to make. Gray Squash, Pasilla Peppers, Roma Tomatoes, Bay Leaves, Anise, Octopus, Shrimp, Grilled Corn, Sliced Carrots.

image.png.38362785a0cd8d44ce5e54847e5538b9.png

Ive tried a lot of stuff, but still never tried octopus.  Is it like Calamari?

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Ive tried a lot of stuff, but still never tried octopus.  Is it like Calamari?

It really does not have a distinct flavor and just like calamari it can be very tender or chewy. It is best grilled when it is fresh.

This started out with a dried mild chili that I took off the top then put it in water to hydrate. Then into a pot of hot water for 15 minutes and brought it up to just about to where it would start to boil then took it out. Put it in a blender with three cups of the water on the lowest setting for 10 minutes with a teaspoon of kosher salt and about two tablespoons of EVO.

Then I added it back into the pot of water with about a teaspoon of chicken broth made by Better Than Bouillon (In a jar from Walmart) and kept it on low while I cut some thick slices of the biggest carrot I could find.  I took out a pablano, four tomatoes and half an ear of corn and let them soak in the sink full of water for 30 minutes before grillin them.

In the mean time I thawed out some shrimp and the octopus. I added two bay leaves and a petal of anise and 1/2 teaspoon of Smokin Racha hot sauce from Puckerbutt Pepper Company (I buy it online) into the pot and let it meld for 20 minutes before tasting it so the flavors can start to come together and build.

I grilled the pepper to a char then put it in a plastic bag to sweat turning the corn to get some color on it. Tomatoes are tricky and need to be attended to turning them so they get a slight char but don't burst.

Once the octopus was thawed  I picked out the small to medium pieces and shelled the shrimp. The "broth had been cooking for about an hour by now and was "getting there" but I added some more salt and hot sauce. Maybe a 1/4 teaspoon of salt 1/2 teaspoon of hot sauce. Now I added the carrots and brought it up to a simmer for about 15 minutes until the carrots were tender enough to be able to stick a fork in them but still firm. Now I sliced the corn off the cobb and took the charred skin off the poblano and pulled of the seeds and chopped it into 3/8" in pieces and added half of it in.

I peeled and deveined the shrimp and put them in the fridge to stay cold. I took the shrimp shells and put them in a pot of water, brought to a boil and took them off the stove and let it sit for 10 minutes. Strained it and added the stock into the pot of veggies. I let it simmer for 10 minutes or so then added the octopus and brought the temp back up. At this point the octopus was done so I cut the tomatoes into  pieces, added them and the whole shrimp and let it sit for five minutes until the shrimp were cooked.

I also added in 1/2 a medium Gray Squash when I put in the octopus that I sliced about 1" thick and then quartered each slice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Might just have to try it.  Also looking to try the octopus grilled and see what's what.  We've seen them swimming around before at rocky point.  

21 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Went Mexico again, caught some big Sierra mackerel. 

E444B85D-1159-470C-8D47-12CFAD6BB6F3.jpeg

What are you using to season them?

A mediocre at best pizza from Red Devil. First time I've been disappointed with their pizza. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Tony chachere’s

Used the salt free version tonight when I fried some gray squash.

• Like 1

Fried up some Bartlett Bass and Crappie last night.  Used carp in a crappie fritter recipe.... Deliciousness. 

I know, many of you will poo poo carp but it's great.  The fritter recipe starts with poaching the fish.  It was fairly easy at that point to pull out the y bones.  

Leftovers for lunch in the form of fish tacos.  Can't beat fish tacos.  

PXL_20240802_053705933.jpg

PXL_20240801_130114497.jpg

• Like 3