Sign in to follow this  
matthewp45

Good Gunsmith!

I am looking for a good gunsmith. I want to find someone that has a good shop and does gunsmithing full time. As long as it is in AZ I will travel. I live in Yuma and we have very little resources in our area. I am having problems with my 7MM DAkota heating up and I am looking at some different options. I know this subject comes up quite a bit, but thanks for any help.

I also am looking at putting the cerakote on the gun. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get that done as well. Thanks.

It is a Mauser M98 action with a douglas barrel. Thank you for the input though!

Mat, I have a Mauser 98 with a Shilen (my 270 wsm). todd Bettin did the work and it shoots AWESOME!

He is from Iowa I believe? Maybe Idaho.

Shilen is the maker of the stock? I will check it out thanks. Does your have a cheek piece?

Do the laminate stocks resist scratches pretty well? They sure do look good.

IME, laminate stocks are pretty hardy. I would rather have a synthetic on a serious hunting rifle though. Laminate stocks tend to be a little heavy. But then again, there is NOTHING light about my 270wsm and I have managed to use that for the last few years with no problem. My .257 is about 2-3 pounds lighter and that is a very nice surprise!

Give Danny Pedersen at Classic Barrel and Gunworks a call up in Prescott. He might be able to help you out over the phone. His website is www.cutrifle.com. He's swamped right now and rarely answers his phone as he's on the machines, but he'll call you back in a couple of days.

What were you considering having done?

If your Dakota is heating up your barrel (to be expected), you may be considering fluting.

Here is what Shilen says about fluting.

http://www.shilen.com/faq.html#question8

What Lilja says about fluting.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/faq_lilja_rifl...rels.htm#stress

I would be apt to use an ice cube, cold wet rag, or CO2 from a welding bottle through the barrel, to cool it while shooting rather than wait for slow air cooling to occur. You can run some water from a squirt bottle and rubber tube through the barrel and follow with a Bore Snake to dry it. If using water on the outside of the barrel, be sure the barrel channel of a wooden stock is sealed.

I had the cerakote and ultra borecoat done to my rifle by Doug at UltraCoatings in Kansas.

http://www.ultracoatingsinc.com/services.html

Thank you very much. That helps tremendously. I appreciate all of your input.

I had my old Argentine Mauser action and barrel put together by Guns Etc., it was delivered on time but the barrel had a few dings in it that were not there when I dropped it off, the caliber stamping had overlapped letters and a mauser small ring action scope base was mounted, problem being that the argentine is a large ring mauser action so it shot ONLY 10 feet high the first time out. So, thats my experience with Guns Etc, Im sure others have nothing but good things to say about him, but this was my experience.