Sign in to follow this  
elkhunter

A great hunt

Howdy

I was pretty excited to go on my deer hunt this year especially since I knew I would be able to scout out the area for many days. I started scouting a month prior to my hunt and my family and I were not seeing the numbers or high quality of bucks as we saw last year. After many days in the field my scouting showed 3 different bucks that I would be happy to have. But one buck stood out over the other two, he has crab claw 3's and I’ve seen him many times and watched him for hours, watched him feed, bed, sleep, wake up, feed, bed, scrape, chase does, spar with other bucks...just bout everything a buck could do. I decided to give him a name, George. Anyways I decided that he would be the buck I would try to find and take on the hunt.

Some picture and video of George

th_PICT0121.jpg

pict01222.jpg

Picture of another buck, 2x3..pretty neat picture

PICT0135.jpg

A cross buck (beams 1 inch away from touching)

Crossbuck4.jpg

Opening day came and I was at my grandparents house with my family and Christian (azcouesandelk) was going to meet me off a highway that leads to where we would hunt. I said goodbye to my family and headed out to meet Christian and we rolled into camp about 1:30pm. There’s a decent hill nearby camp where I have never seen a buck but it just looks like a great area for deer. We glassed for an hour, trying to find any deer under trees but we saw pretty much nothing...not too surprising since it was early afternoon. Then I told Christian lets go and get George. I had seen George 3 days prior to opening day and I know he does not move too far from his home canyon. Christian and I got to the top of the glassing hill and we set up our gear and started glassing. I swear, about 2 minutes into glassing I looked over to Christian and said....I found George, we watched him for a few minutes as he went along side a ridge and out of sight into mesquite trees. I know George loves to feed for a few minutes and bed down, he hardly ever goes more than 50 yards while feeding. So Christian and I hiked up the opposite side of the canyon to get a broadside view of the ridge, as we got closer we would stop to glass the ridge for George...nothing. We got to about 300 yards and I was able to glass up George bedded down under a mesquite. Christian stayed back on lookout while I tried to get closer and into a clear shooting lane. The ocotillos were pretty thick up there. I made my way down to 234 yards and I set up the rifle, my “sitting up” shooting position was the crappiest position I’ve ever tried to shoot in, if a hunter had seen me from a distance, he woulda been thinkin “what the heck is that boy doin up there?” Where I was setting up to shoot it was a downhill area and the grass was more than 2 ft tall. The stance was so bad that my crosshairs were hardly ever on the buck...so I adjusted a little and put myself into an even more awkward stance but much more sturdy then before. The butt of the rifle was basically on my sternum and my head was forward and down looking through the scope. The crosshairs were finally stable and I flicked the safety off and fired. I saw 2 white tails running from the area, I know George occasionally travels with a spike and fork but most of the time he’s alone. I could not find him again in my scope and did not bother looking at the 2 whiteys I saw running away. Soon enough I looked uphill and Christian had his arms straight in the air. We had our moment of whooping and hollering and going over what had just happened. I basically placed the bullet perfectly on his shoulder, after the shot he staggered up and scrambled a couple of yards and collapsed. The blood trail from where he was bedded to where he expired was unreal.

PICT0162.jpg

PICT0170.jpg

PICT0171.jpg

George is my 3rd largest buck out of the 5 bucks I have taken, but he is the buck that I am the most proud of. I hope I get another chance to follow a buck for a long time and be able to harvest him during the hunt....next time I just hope it lasts a little bit longer!

Thanks to Christian for helping me out hunt deer for a couple of minutes, I would have not known where the buck expired if it wasnt for him.

The shot had hit him behind the shoulder about the lower 1/3rd of the body, I was using my dad's reloads and they've been fantastic so far, check out the blood trail from when he walked 10 yards or so, I was using 180grn barnes triple shock, the bullet pierced the heart, only to make a nice cut but hardly ever expanded

PICT0179.jpg

PICT0177.jpg

PICT0176.jpg

Beautiful buck. That is a great story. You two need to start your own coues deer hunting show. If you don't have your own tag you guys are helpin someone else. You two are one heck of a coues killin team.

I just put a tape on the buck before I put his head in a boiling pan, he scores 82 5/8th so he's actually my second to the smallest buck but still the best buck I have taken!

Dang Tyler that was a really cool hunt. It was longer than just a few minutes if you think about it. Really you been hunting for a month! I hope someday to scout up a deer ahead of time and get pictures and video the way you did, now that's what I call a successful hunt! I think we should start calling you and Christian the Dynamic Duo! Noice job Christian! Thanks again for your help on my hunt Tyler, I look forward to hunting with you again.

Sounds like a super hunt. I wish I had the time to spend watching the same deer for a month before the season started, and then decide that would be the deer I took. I can understand why this hunt is so special. Great job, and thanks for sharing that with us.

Way to go!

Bret

BTW, I'm switching back to the Nosler Ballistic tips for my coues hunt. My son was using my rifle for his Elk and Kiabab deer, and has been using the Barnes bullets.

I like how I've seen them perform with elk and mule deer, but I've not heard enough good things about them on the much smaller coues deer.

Your description of the exit wound sounds similar to what others describe, but I'll never complain about a 10 ft blood trail with that much blood.

Hey is it too early to start getting excited about next year B) I know it's probably crazy, but man I can't wait!

Tyler once again thank you for letting me be part of the hunt. You worked extremely hard in your scouting and it payed off with a great buck that has some very unique characteristics. Keep up the good work and get ready for pig season!