longshooter

A true old school coues hunter

How come his pants, shirt and vest are so clean? He looks like a model for Cabelas.

I always looked like an ax murderer whenever I packed out a buck.

Bill Quimby :)

How come his pants, shirt and vest are so clean? He looks like a model for Cabelas.

I always looked like an ax murderer whenever I packed out a buck.

Bill Quimby :)

I'm with you on that. :lol:

Your grandfather actually appears to have had a lot going for himself. First, he appears to be in excellent physical condition,secondly the brimmed hat (a la cowboy style) helped keep the sun out of his eyes and off his neck,ears, etc. Third a .300 Savage makes an excellent mountain rifle, in my book, even in these days of magnum thunder. Lastly the nice buck he is carrying says that he did something (s) right. As you can tell. my hat (brimmed) is off to the gentleman!

Your grandfather actually appears to have had a lot going for himself. First, he appears to be in excellent physical condition,secondly the brimmed hat (a la cowboy style) helped keep the sun out of his eyes and off his neck,ears, etc. Third a .300 Savage makes an excellent mountain rifle, in my book, even in these days of magnum thunder. Lastly the nice buck he is carrying says that he did something (s) right. As you can tell. my hat (brimmed) is off to the gentleman!

It could have been a .300 Savage, because they made a few of them in that era. I would bet a double meat whopper, though, that it was chambered for the .303 Savage. Most of the pre-WWII Model 99 Savages were. Everyone I knew who owned a .300 Savage considered them their "elk gun" and "way too powerful" than needed for mere Arizona whitetails. Actually, they were ballistically similar to today's .308 Win.

Bill Quimby