Sign in to follow this  
ruffcountry

Eleven-Eleven=95

11-11 was when my 2008 coues hunt ended . It had began on the seventh , in the am. I hiked to a saddle with a nice view and passed on a thin 3x3 . Afternoon rolled around and found me restless so I took to the top of the hills and spotted several groups of does and fawns as I worked my way higher and higher .post-704-1227023702_thumb.jpg

I could see my truck in the distance and I studied the terrain to determine the best route down and back to it .I got down before dark but just barely , while walking on the flats, I heard mule deer I couldnt see bouncing away .

Day two and three I spent hunting in an area of the unit I hadnt been to before .post-704-1227062075_thumb.jpg

It was incredible looking country but I saw only a few does and fawns . Walking back on Sunday night I was pelted with small hail but at least I didnt get too wet. The lightning was surreal .post-704-1226997114_thumb.jpg

Monday morning found me back in my usual area . I watched a spike eating leaves off a tree do the ghost thing and dissappear before my eyes . Does and yearlings filled the day till afternoon . Miles from my truck and getting late in the day , I was moving too fast along the ridge top when in front of me a doe blows and a buck is up and running . This buck is the first Coues buck that I've seen that made me say "Holy Cow , look at that big buck " and I tried to sit and get on my bipod but he isnt slowing down and , too late , I fired as he went over the ridge . My new rifles first shot at a coues buck was a clean miss . The dissapointment didnt make my long walk any shorter . I took to long to set up and I knew I should have just stood like a man and made the shot .

The last four days had been pretty rough , miles and miles had taken thier toll and I was feeling beat up but after seeing that buck I wasnt ready to give up . So , Tuesday I came with help , I brought along my wife and a couple of our horses . We saddled up and rode to the end of a trail which was near where I had seen the buck the day before. I climbed a hill to have a look around . I scanned the peak the deer had been on the day before and there near the top something caught my eye . It was Mickey Mouse , I stared thinking it would probaly turn out to be cactus pads but no it wasnt a cactus and it wasnt Mickey either , it was a deer . I could only see one deer and it didnt have horns , but the buck the day before had been with a doe . I got on the radio and told my wife what was going on and that I was going to circle the hill I was on to try and get a better look up there . I moved to a vantge point and quickly located minnie mouse doe again , I still couldnt see any more deer up there but I was 800+ yards away . I moved back down and started around to get closer . I hadnt gotten far when a deer burst out from under some bushes in front of me . I ran to the side of the bushes to see a buck making his getaway . The range wasnt far and I tracked him with my scope , when he came out from behind an ocotillo , I took my shot and fired . He was going down hill and quartering away , the bullet from my seven mag caught him behind the ribs and went right into the boiler room . He went down right there . I made my way to him and found I had just taken a very cool buck .post-704-1226997799_thumb.jpgpost-704-1227142634_thumb.jpg

No , he wasnt as big as the one that got away and I didnt get to find out if the other buck was up there with minnie mouse doe , but I had taken a nice buck and I had taken him on the run and I got him by standing and shooting like a man . I felt redeemed . I hadnt gone very far from where I left the horses so my wife came up and took some pictures .post-704-1227144688_thumb.jpg

I field dressed him and carried him down to where the horses were tied .

post-704-1227108615_thumb.jpg

I threw him across my saddle and strapped him down . It was another long walk out but it didnt seem too bad what with my horse carring my deer and my rifle .

post-704-1227143594_thumb.jpg

My taxidermist measured this buck at 95 inches even .

Yes, I do know where I want to hunt next year.

Hahahhahaha :D Congratulations! Small world........I know exactly where you were hunting! There is a 10 pointer in there, no kidding.

Ernesto C

Nice Buck man!!, Way to stick it out. ;) Love the split eyegaurd, I got one two, they're frigin cool huh!

Great deer, pictures, and story. Thanks for sharing, I can't hardly wait for next week.

--Bill

Great Story and a sweet reward.

That sounds like a very hard hunt and a well earned buck at the end of it all.

Maybe you should have brought the wife and horses on opening day?

Congratulations!

Bret

nice buck. hey you did good and redeemed yourself. one more thing. whys the horse go slippers and not irons.