Sign in to follow this  
tommat

Varmit hunting

I have been invited by some co-workers to do some predator calling / hunting in a couple of weeks. They are great guys and after we plan on doing some quail hunting. One of them is quite a good caller and has taken several yotes and even a bobcat recently. I have never really varmit hunted before as I feel strange about killing animals I don't plan on feeding to my family. I about got tossed into a deer camp fire one night years ago when I told them about a mountain lion I glassed up 300 yards away, eating a rabbit and just watched him for a half hour or so. They were peeved I had no lion tag and didn't shoot.

I know that there are plenty of predators out there and that shooting varmits does no damage to the population. And I know that the less predators out there the more it helps the fawn survival rate. Is there still a market for the pelts? Are there any other advantages to killing varmits? What are your thoughts.....I will probably just go along and go after some quail...but it would be fun to stick a yote with my bow.....

If the problem is a moral one, i.e. you can't eat them, then why would pelt value matter? To answer your question, yes coyote pelts do have some value. You won't make money, but it's enough for gas and maybe a few cold ones if you're proficient at it ;). Bobcats can bring much more $, especially up in higher elevations with higher quality pelts. And many people eat mountain lion, and say it's quite good. Never tried it personally. Coyotes and lions play more havoc than you think on Coues. Plus it's great practice for deer season, it's a blast with a lot of action, and a good reason to get out and hunt with some buddies. And if it still bothers you, coyote meat wouldn't kill a person :)

Because the hunter being the hunted is a freakin blast!

And you dont carry a lion tag, you glassed one up and just watched it?!?! Are you nuts?!?!?!?! you just gave that lion +/- a deer a week for the rest of its life!

Lion meat is really good to eat'n. Lion summer sausage is better than that made with deer and elk, based on what I have tasted. Scout'm served some lion backstrap this past weekend at deer camp, and it was tasty- kinda like a combination of pork and chicken. I am told that bobcat is just as tasty. Has anyone tried coyote meat?

Coyotes are one of the main reasons for the decline of the antelope population here in AZ. Coyoye pelts do look well hanging on a nail or over a banister, or as afull body mount.

If shooting a coyote is an emotional issue, just watch a team of coyotes bring down a deer, or fawn.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...c=10837&hl=

I kind of side with TOMCAT on this one, except for the lion. I would blast that sucka.

I guess I got turned off on the coyote thing after watching a couple of Randy Anderson vids where they glorified the killing instead of the hunting.

I would fight tooth and nail to keep it legal though. To each his own.

...Coyoye pelts do look well hanging on a nail or over a banister, or as afull body mount.

Agreed. Next good pelt I get I want to do a mount like this...

sweetcoyotemount.jpg

Man that's freaking cool.

I guess I got turned off on the coyote thing after watching a couple of Randy Anderson vids where they glorified the killing instead of the hunting.

I would fight tooth and nail to keep it legal though. To each his own.

Just 'cause some other yahoos glorify it doesn't mean you have to. Some guys glorify the killing of deer rather than the hunt. But you aren't going to stop Coues hunting are ya? ;)

Its pretty simple and sound the way i look at it. We pride ourselves in taking part in game management and more than happily manage deer/elk/any prey animal, so would it be sound management to not do anything about varmints/predators? By controlling them you are simply helping out prey animals, and in arizona we all know they could use every extra dog and lion on the ground as we can manage to put down.

Its pretty simple and sound the way i look at it. We pride ourselves in taking part in game management and more than happily manage deer/elk/any prey animal, so would it be sound management to not do anything about varmints/predators? By controlling them you are simply helping out prey animals, and in arizona we all know they could use every extra dog and lion on the ground as we can manage to put down.

That is starting to make some sense to me there.......

Like Redrabbit said, Mtn. Lion meat is some of the finest wild game I have ever had.

Plus, THIS is why we shoot lions.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...mp;#entry125707

Imagine if that is the 110" buck you have scouted out all sumer long. You know when and where he beds, when and where he waters and when and where he feeds. All of your hard work gone to chit because of a dam lion!

Well............I'm not eating yote or cat, no matter how good Casey says they are! What I will do is blast their butt every chance I get. If you have ever seen coyotes tearing an antelope fawn out of the womb of the mother, and devouring it before it could ever hit the ground, well I think all your reservations about killing these vermin will leave you! It's not like you are going to put a dent in the population, heck government programs to eradicate them didn't work.

TJ

As far as coyotes go, I understand not wanting to shoot them for non-consumptive reasons. I’ve heard, though, that wildlife rehabilitation places are more than happy to take the meat to feed to the animals they are rehabilitating. So that might be an option.

I’ve also heard the “keeps ‘em honest” theory on this very site (don’t remember who made it though.) Basically, the theory is that shooting coyotes (or lions, etc.) makes them respect/fear people and keeps them from indulging their overly opportunistic side which can bring them into conflict with humans. Conflict with people sometimes ends badly for the person but always ends badly for the critter. Both sides benefit if we teach them to skedaddle at the sight/sound/scent of people, the theory goes. It makes sense to me.

I’ve not varmint hunted yet but reserve the right to do it down the road. I agree with Desert Bull. I will fight to keep it legal. To each his own.

It’s good that you are thoughtfully approaching the topic. I’m sure you’ll come up with the answer that is right for you.

If it was just about the taste of the meat, I would shoot a lion before I shot a deer. I have never eaten a coyote, so I couldn't tell you about them. I do see where you are coming from with not wanting to shoot them if you aren't going to use some part of them. I would just shoot the coyotes in the winter when the fur is good and then sell the furs.

I want to catch one and love him and hug him and name him George. What ever i will blast those desert dogs when the chace is there. I do not go out calling them anymore but i will shoot them when i see them. If you ask me hunting coues and lions goes hand in hand. They are equal in my book of favorite things to hunt. right at number one.