Sign in to follow this  
Young

November success

Well im back from the first november hunt and I had a blast. My dad and cousin Carl (aka youngunz) came along to help with my hunt. I have to give them much thanks as it was a tuff one. Carl and I had done alot of pre season scouting which turned up 10-15 different bucks each trip and I was sure this hunting trip was going to be a piece of cake. BOY WAS I WRONG. As this was the first time hunting in this unit, I was unaware of all the hunters that would be along side me on opening morning. The pressure from the OCT hunt and the hunters I was glassing up on every other ridge, had pushed these bucks into more remote areas which I had never been to before. GAME ON. I'll give you the long story short.

Day 1. First morning we saw about 20-25 does and fawns which kept us busy and excited but no bucks were found. Mid morning we were moving to a new area and jumped up a fork and I chose to pass on him. We watched him go into a group of oak trees and stop but when he came out a bigger buck was behind him. This buck was easily over 100 inches. We tried to get on this buck the rest of the day but never relocated him.

Day 2. We hiked into a remote area to only find a guided and his clients sitting at our vantage point. Across the hill there were three more hunters with mules. We were confused on what to do so we tried to relocate the big buck from the day before. Wouldn't you know it, I found the fork bedded underneath the same tree. I took the shot instead of holding out for the big buck. First shot hit a rock just under him. He then stood up and I shot over his back. He had enough of the shooting and busted out of the trees. When he came out the big buck was with him. Carl told me over the radio to take the second buck as he was the largest. Two shots later he topped over the ridge and out of sight. I was sick to my stomache as the largest buck I've ever shot at get away. The rest of the day produced only does and fawns.

Day 3. Carl had to head back to town for a family bbq so it was just me and my Dad. We took a different route into some country we had yet to see. Canyon after canyon, does and fawns, does and fawns, no bucks. The wind picked up at about 9:00 so we glassed thick pockets of trees. Three canyons later, this buck was found bedded. I ranged him at 190 yards and shot him while he was sleeping. This is not biggest buck I have shot but boy is he beautiful. I couln't be HAPPIER. Thanks again Carl and Pops, you guys are awesome!

My buck

post-2386-1226342139_thumb.jpg

post-2386-1226342555_thumb.jpg

post-2386-1226342672_thumb.jpg

Pops with my deer

post-2386-1226342802_thumb.jpg

Congrats, I'll be happy to see a buck like that in a couple weeks, nevermind killing one (although that would be nice). Sounds like a good time.

--Bill

Hey brutha, That buck is very well earned. It was a very tough hunt with all the other hunters in the area, lucky for us they weren't very serious about hunting. It was an absolute blast making some more memories that will last a life time. Thanks for not telling all the stories about me, much appreciated my man. Heck of a buck and wish I could have been there to help you pack that beast out.

Thats a great looking buck. Is that buck smaller than the one you missed? What does the one you got score?

Eagle eye, Yes this buck is smaller than the one I missed. The one I missed was easily over 100in and I think about him every day. But hey, thats why its called hunting and not killing. I don't ever have my deer scored but if I were to take a guess, I would say my buck would be in the low 90's and I am very pleased with him. Thank all of you for all your great comments and to those who have upcoming hunts, BEST OF LUCK. Go get em

Sweet buck! Carl let me know of your success and it was good to hear other people were having a good time in there.