Sign in to follow this  
coues7

Shooting in Tall grass

I headed down south to do some scouting in 34a yesterday and had a new experience.....TALL TALL GRASS. Which got me thinking. It sure would be nice to be able to shoot off my tripod. A few weeks ago Ron G. posted some pics of his wife's elk hunt and the very first picture which I've attached has the exact adapter I'm looking for. He said he made it from a monopod, trekking stick adapter and the Bogen/Manfrotto quick release plate. I've looked high and low and can find JUST THE V-SHAPED topper.....he got his at Cabelas and it's rare that I make it up to PHX. Does anyone know where to but them?

Scott

post-181-1225655238_thumb.jpg

Scott,

I have the same set up for my manfrotto. The rest I have is from my Stoney Point "hike and hunt combo". If I don't have time to set it up I just take off the binos and tilt the paning adjustment handle up and use it for the rifle rest. I hope the link helps, I have mine attached to a quick release plate also.

--Bill

http://theconsumerlink.com/STONEYPOINT/detail/TCL+E-102/103

You can buy one in the CouesWhitetail.com store. Look at the last item on this page, it's called Jimmy's Rifle rest. It's u-shaped rather than V-shaped, but it works very well. Just screws onto your tripod or the plate in your tripod head.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookstore/adaptors.htm

Amanda

That looks pretty good Amanda, I didn't realize you had them on this site. I guess I need to go to the homepage more often to see what else I've been missing.

--Bill

Scott, I use the Outdoorsmans rest on my tripod and love it. It's very light weight, strong, doesn't take up much space, attaches quickly and easily, and best of all it will hold the rifle without any support from the shooter. I actually use it over my Outdoorsmans pistol grip and can move my aimpoint any place I need to. I used it in NM back in September to kill my antelope buck with it and it worked perfectly.

post-25-1225660490.gif

post-25-1225660543_thumb.jpg

Scott, I use a homemde job that is similar to the Outdoorsman model. If you'd like i clould probably get another one done for you. And as a side note, while the tripod is pretty stable, adding a set of those stoney point sticks to the butt of the gun in combination to the tripod makes it almost benchrest solid.

Amanda, nice job of marketing... It worked on me! Now I can leave that complete other tripod that I carry back at camp!

:)

Do you have a bipod on your rifle? It's still good to do something to support the stock. Last year, I used my bipod up front and a tripod to support the back. It takes a fair amount of time to set it up to get the right angle. That is my only complaint about that way. That outdoorsmans mount looks very nice, but I would have the same problem with adjusting things quickly enough (since I don't have a pistol grip head).

Amanda

Amanda, nice job of marketing... It worked on me! Now I can leave that complete other tripod that I carry back at camp!

:)

Do you have a bipod on your rifle? It's still good to do something to support the stock. Last year, I used my bipod up front and a tripod to support the back. It takes a fair amount of time to set it up to get the right angle. That is my only complaint about that way. That outdoorsmans mount looks very nice, but I would have the same problem with adjusting things quickly enough (since I don't have a pistol grip head).

Amanda

Yeah, I always strap a Bi-pod on my guns. But, they are always to short to shoot sitting down (being 6'3). It works great laying down, but with the length of the grass this year I do not for see a prone shot in my future. Only problem is, I think I will need another plate.

Here is the Stoney Point head I set Linnea up with this year

post-1778-1225669315_thumb.jpg

And the Jim White support I used for my Contender.

This was such a SWEET set up.

With the flat base of my forend I was able to just let the pistol sit on the pod

pointed out the window of my blind.

I had 3 bucks come in opening morning and was able to just touch the grip to

move it as the Buck moved around looking thru the EER scope

post-1778-1225669867_thumb.jpg

post-1778-1225669996_thumb.jpg

Scott, I use the Outdoorsmans rest on my tripod and love it. It's very light weight, strong, doesn't take up much space, attaches quickly and easily, and best of all it will hold the rifle without any support from the shooter. I actually use it over my Outdoorsmans pistol grip and can move my aimpoint any place I need to. I used it in NM back in September to kill my antelope buck with it and it worked perfectly.

post-25-1225660490.gif

post-25-1225660543_thumb.jpg

Tim, I agree that is a very nice set up ;)

But DANG they are way to proud of it

For that kind of money I can set my radial arm saw up

and make a couple 45*cuts in a 4X4,

cut the center out, Add a well nut and be done for $1.50

I think you know I am not a cheap a$$ but I aint paying their price for that. :(

Daym... Make's my crushed back-pack rifle rest seem ancient...

:lol: Dont give up the pack :rolleyes:

More Deer are killed of of packs than probably anything else ;)

Proud is an understatement. But it's that way with all there stuff and I've been very happy with there quality, service, and no questions asked warranty. I've never had a problem with my stuff but I was in there shop once and a guy came in with something that had a problem and without even blinking they handed him a new one. The guy was shocked!

Like Mike said don't throw the back pack away! I still use mine as my first option and tripods, bipods, tree limbs, etc are all back up plans. A back pack is about as solid as you can get for hunting situations.

We built our own here at work, I've never used it but my buddy's Gradnfather used one to shoot his buck with and it worked well.

rest2.jpg

Here he is shooting his buck off of it.

P1020136.jpg

And it worked!

P1020139.jpg