Sign in to follow this  
thegunsmith2506

Opening day buck

I have never been a trophy hunter, and after watching over 30 quads and trucks buzz by my camp opening morning, I decided to shoot the first buck I could. Just after daylight I glassed up 4 bucks and one doe heading to water. I had to move quick to cut them off, so I bailed off my perch and headed down the trail. I started glassing the brush ahead of me as I got close to the water and soon spotted all 5 deer feeding in the open. I crouched down and pulled out my shooting sticks. When the deer had their heads down I stood up and put the rifle on the sticks. All the bucks looked to be about the same size. When the closest buck turned broadside I touched off the .243 Ackley. He was hit good but stayed on his feet, so I hit him one more time. Both shots were right behind the shoulder at 212yds. I had him skinned and in the ice chest in camp by 9am. The wife came up Friday night and we hunted for a few days trying to get her a buck. We were into deer everyday, but she could never connect. I only saw one good buck on the hunt, and it was just too dark for her to try and shoot. Talked to a lot of hunters that never saw a deer, so I was glad I took the shot I had. Here are a few pics.

DSC01320.jpg

DSC01322.jpg

DSC01324.jpg

Great job man!!

Sometimes these deer are just so hard to find that any legal buck is good enough!!

Congrats again.

Congrats on a successful hunt! .243 Ackley? interesting round to choose, particularly with a handle ending in 2506....

Sorry to hear the wife didn't tag out as well.

Congratulations, that's going to be really good eating, I tell you from experience. I did the same thing but I did it on the very last day and like you....had lots of fun.

Ernesto C

smallestbuck.jpg

Congrats on a successful hunt! .243 Ackley? interesting round to choose, particularly with a handle ending in 2506....

Sorry to hear the wife didn't tag out as well.

lol I am a sucker for the Ackley. I need to get around to making the 25-06 an Ackley. That would make a great Coues round.

Well, I personally think a great deer round would be a .308 Win necked down to .257. Just doesn't seem to be out there.

The closest I've seen are a .250 Savage or .250 Savage improved or the .260 Rem. (Having a .300 Savage I'm not too keen on the savage cartridge for reloading due to the short neck and sharp shoulder angle)

Anyway it's always cool when someone asks you what you shoot with and after you answer they say: Huh? Never heard of it.

Bret

Great buck and it will be some fine eating. Congrats. :)

TJ