Sign in to follow this  
BML

Coues Deer Hat Trick!

Well, the incredible season for our family just got a little better.

My brother killed his deer on opening day. A little forked horn buck bit the dust. The deer actually surprised my brother and he made a difficult shot, but a bad hit. He and I looked for several hours before we decided to do a drive of sorts to try to bust him out of some thick stuff. Well, it worked because about 5 minutes later I hear BOOM, and down went his deer. Second shot was right through the heart on a dead run. My brother hadn't killed a deer in many years so he was absolutely thrilled to be done opening day. He is about to graduate from ASU soon and he needed a fun relaxing weekend to relieve a little stress and wind down some. I'd say mission accomplished!! Good job bro!

Here is his buck. Not sure how it's going to turn out since we took the picture on his phone.

mybuck.jpg

Saturday morning found us in a slightly different spot glassing. We discussed it the night before and thought it would give us a little closer vantage point to glass from, but as it turned out, the spot was terrible. Closest shot ended up being 300 yards or so across a canyon that you could not cross at all. We glassed for several hours and nothing. We decided to head back to camp to regroup. On the way back, though, I told my dad to drop me off in an area a couple miles from camp. I was determined to get a buck this year, so I decided to just stay in the field all day long if I had to. About 2 hours later, I get a text from my brother. "Dad just killed!". My dad shot a spike buck on the hill right behind our camp after breakfast!! I couldn't believe it. I was excited for him, but told them all to just leave me out there until I called them to get me.

deerhunt001.jpg

So now I am the only one left in camp without a deer and seriously questioning my decision to be where I was. It was a big long shot to even see a deer there, but I figured what the heck. 5 hours into my sit, I was texting my brother to help me stay awake. I was just about ready to tell him to come get me when I look up and see a deer about 100 yards away. I turn off the phone and get ready. As he peeks around a tree I see he is not only a buck, but a very good buck!! My mind immediately started racing as this is by far the largest buck I have ever seen in my crosshairs. He never presented a good shot from my angle, so I was forced to get up and slightly move when he went behind a tree. Then after I moved I realized that my bipod would not work with the extreme downward angle of the slope. He finally gave me a shot angle that I wanted. I had to stand up and shoot him offhand. One shot and he was down!!

This is my biggest buck ever and I am still on cloud nine!! I have no idea what he scores and I really don't even care. You all can take guesses if you want to.

5-15-8148.jpg

5-15-8146.jpg

5-15-8149.jpg

When I get the pictures of my dad's deer emailed to me I will post them up. He is a smaller spike then the spike I killed last year, so of course I had to give my dad a little you know what over that one!!

Congrats to all of your family for getting it done on some nice deer.

Phil

I added a picture of my dad's buck and scored mine.

Rough score came to 74 1/8. I never thought I would ever be able to kill a buck this nice! You guys out there killing all those monsters really know your stuff.