Sign in to follow this  
redline410

Opening morning trifecta

Without going into to too much crazy detail- My dad, Uncle and I were lucky enough to all draw together this year. Scouted hard for months and decided that although it would cause us great amounts of pain, there were some good bucks in this particular canyoun and it would be worth the hump in. Opening morning at 4:30am we dove off into the abyss in search of two bucks we had spied 2 weeks prior. Just as the sun was lighting the eastern sky we arrive at our destination, split up and went to glassing- I got settled in, spun the 15's to the first edge of the grid and not 5 minutes in I caught a flicker in the mesquite. turned out to be an ear and the antlers quickly materialized. a quick range, 471- just a touch out of my comfort zone so I went to closing the gap. I rounded the corner and saw my old man glassing the same hill side- walked up to him and asked "are you shoot that thing or is he not big enough for you?" he looked at me like I had 3 heads. "Where?" he asked. I trained his binoculars on the spot and let him stare at it for a few minutes before the buck finally flinched again. Wanting him to take a good buck was my main mission on this hunt so we found him a good solid rest and were planning on waiting for the buck to stand, right up until the rest of the bucks we didn't see started coming out of the bottom to feed. Another good buck strolled onto the playing field and pops decided that one was good enough and closer to boot. I told him that if he gave me a second to set up, I'd scope the bedded buck and hopefully his shot would get him up- worked like a charm. His buck folds and the bedded buck stands up, only he was still in the danged ol' tree. The perch dad had was at a better angle so I low ran back to where he was, kicked him off the rock, squared up and center punched the other. Hmm, two down within 50 yards of each other. turns out there was 6 bucks in that little mess and the remaining four were in no hurry to go anywhere. Dad told me to run back and see if Mike wanted any deer or if he was looking for something giant. I ran the 200yards back around the mountain- rousted up my uncle and told him that if he would shoot any buck there was a good forky standing around just waiting to get thumped. Back to the shooting rock again and the bigger of the 2x was still eating along like he had good sense. 316yrds, hold, breathe, squeeze, down....over......it was all of 7:30 a.m. and we were done.... well, almost......cut, quarter, cape, strap on the packs and up the hill we went arriving at camp around 5pm.....that hurt me bad but I wouldn't trade if for the world. to see my old man as excited as he was, was worth every grueling step.......

My baby one- 90" even

post-825-1224972271_thumb.jpg

Old man's stud buck with a little character- 85ish

post-825-1224972307_thumb.jpg

Hawk's battle tested deuce

post-825-1224972292_thumb.jpg

Mess-o-horn

post-825-1224972321_thumb.jpg

Success!

post-825-1224972337_thumb.jpg

That rocks! Thanks for the posts

Three in the same place from the same rock at the same time? Wow!

Congratulations to you all!