scoutm

Head Lamps

I currently use the Petzl Zipka Plus style of headlamp but with my eyes not seeing as well in low light conditions as they use to I'm in the market for a brighter headlamp. I really like the compact size the zipka offers but I just need more light.

What do you guys use and what are the pros/cons of them.

Thanks!

Petzl Tikka XP

http://www.rei.com/product/751760

I usually like to slide the diffuser half way over so I get a combination spot and flood while hiking.

Also carry in the hand a 2AA Luxeon LED flashlight that will reach out further if needed. I look for AA as I think the Lithium batteries are too expensive.

the cheapest one from walmart is actually pretty good. it is a green energizer brand with 2 white LED's and one red. In all honesty it alot brighter than alot of fancy ones. I have people askin me who makes it. they dont believe me when i say the 8 dollar wal mart one. Only downside is it takes 2 AAA, all my other stuff i try and keep AA's like radios and normal flashlight. Best thing about it is if i drop it somewhere im only out 8 bucks

the cheapest one from walmart is actually pretty good. it is a green energizer brand with 2 white LED's and one red. In all honesty it alot brighter than alot of fancy ones. I have people askin me who makes it. they dont believe me when i say the 8 dollar wal mart one. Only downside is it takes 2 AAA, all my other stuff i try and keep AA's like radios and normal flashlight. Best thing about it is if i drop it somewhere im only out 8 bucks

Any issues with battery life?

Batteries last a while if it doesnt get left on. I keep mine in a pocket with all kinds of stuff and it gets turned on sometimes. Mine is a few years old and didnt do it untill the switch got real worked in

I use a surefire E2L cliped to my hat. Bright as heck, LED, 100 hrs of battery life on low setting which is plenty bright and 11 hrs on high in case you wanna blind everthing you look at. E1L is probably a better choice being lighter and smaller and only takes one battery instead of two. Plus they are indestructable. But rumor has it Surefire may be coming out with a head lamp.

all the petzls have good reputation and I like the tactica and the Myo5 that I have, that one has a xenon bulb and 5 LED's the Xenon bulb is super bright but chews through bateries in a few hours. the LEDs will run for darn near ever. BlackDiamond has a few really good lamps out including one that has several brightness levels for 3 LEDs and will even do a concentrated spot if you want it to. I also have one of the cheepo green energizers and it works fine if you are just wanting to carry it and use it once in a while but the petzls are worth it if you use it frequently or need that extra lil bit of light. just my $0.02.

sam

I think mine is a Browning. It is plenty bright, and has two settings. Tyson (SBD) and I were hiking out in the dark the other night and he was in the lead. The lamp produced enough light that he was able to see clearly 5 yards in front of me. I think it was about $20 or so. Saved AzPacknHorns and mine buts last year in October!

I always carry three sources of light and I think you get what you pay for. I have tried many others that failed under heavy use but I have put these three through the ringer many times and they have never let me down. Petzl e+Lite, Petzl Tactikka Plus and a Surefire 6P with the high output bulb.

Wade

www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I have had that same light for four years now, it has four led's white and two red, it has multiple switch settings, two led's, four led's, or the red, battery life seems to be pretty good to me. Just a few weeks ago one of my kids was using it and left it sitting out and one of our dogs got it, chewed the switch cover off and put teeth marks all over the thing, but it still comes on, I have to shake it a bit to get one of the led lights to come on, but it still works. I was impressed with the cheap little light. I do carry a mag light in my pack and a small hat clip style light too.

I've got a Walmart one with the red and white LEDs but it does go through batts faster than my petzel xp. I don't like the way you have to click it so many times to get it to the setting you want or turn it off, especially when it is on my head, but I use it a lot.

Have another one I use around home. It's a Coghlans form pop surplus about 8-10 years ago. It has led and halogen it it. I like the versatility of that since there are times you need a whiter light than the LED can deliver. Have not seen one like it or I'd buy a spare!