Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Witnessed an Attempted Murder

Was sitting with a friend and looking around early this morning. An elderly lady was walking with her daughter across the park when a lowlife scum approached from behind. The mother turned to face him, but another vermin went around to attack the daughter. They finally got her on the ground to have their way with her, despite the futile attempts of mom the fend them off. By the time we got there it was too late. As we quickly drove up, they ran away. The daughter had her leg severly injured in the attack, and it did not look good. I grabbed my gun from the truck and called out to the attackers. They came back and in my anger I shot one in the chest. He fell instantly. I walked over, kicked him over with my foot as he lay in a pool of blood. Turned around and walked away with great disdain for his ilk, still angered, but with some retribution, but I doubt the daughter will survive; sad.

Doug~RR

True story.

Sounds like you did the right thing....Hope the scumbag is with the devil by now....Terry

I hope this is a clever way to say that you saw a pair of coyotes trying to attack a deer, but you were able to get one.....

My guess after reading it three times and deleting my origional post already.......Nice shot on the Yote.

Here's the Paul Harvey edition, rest you think I had to make bail for justifiable homicide.

We were up in unit 9 helping a friend's elderly dad on a rifle cow elk hunt. He has some physical limitations, so we were parked across a vast opening about 1/2 mile wide. He was sitting a trick tank on the other side. This morning while we waiting hopefully for the kaboom of his rifle, I spotted a doe and a fawn walking along the edge of the opening. We had seen about 20 deer and no elk in the last 2 days waiting for my friend's dad in his blind.

The low-life scum was a coyote trailing the pair of deer. The doe turned to face the coyote as the fawn stood there. the yote charged and made his way around the doe to the fawn (3 months old if it was dropped in July). the doe was doing a good job of fending off the coyote for a brief minute until a second coyote came in for the attack. In just a few seconds, the fawn was down, but the doe was kicking at the vermin and repelling them only momentarily as they would be on the fawn again. I saw the fawn go down 3 times and come 3 times, as the cloud of dust grew from the ruckus. I did not see the fawn rise a fourth time, as the doe stood just a few feet away, watching helplessly as the fawn was now beneathe the 2 coyotes.

I thought of my 22-250 in my truck back in camp.. My friend had no firearm in his truck. I knew we were too late, but we fired up the Dodge Diesel and sped across to the attack scene. The coyotes took off as soon after we started across the flat.

Upon arrival, I got out of the truck and approached the downed fawn, which had her head up. The doe was standing and looking back about thirty yards away. At about 10 yards, the fawn got up and hobbled toward momma, which was now trotting away. As the fawn hobbled away, I could actually hear bone-snapping sounds in the broken left rear leg of the fawn. After 20 yards, she lay down again with mom looking on.

With hatred in my heart, I told my friend to drive me back 1.5 miles back to camp so I could get my 22-250. I was going to kill those coyotes ("f****rs" was my precise words- and Casey knows I rarely cuss) in vengeance.

Back at camp, I jumped in my truck, with rifle behind the seat, and cartridges in my pocket. A cloud of dust marked the quik trip back to the opening. I parked behind some cedar trees, grabbed the rifle, shooting sticks and the varmint call. With stern purpose, I marched to the edge to the flat and scanned for the deer and coyotes, figuring they would be returning to finish their task. I glassed up the doe, with the injured fawn bedded close by. No coyotes.

Wearing no gloves, no face mask and a red cap, I planted myself in front of juniper tree, turned the turrets to 250 yards and blew on the varmint call, bleating like an injured fawn. Another doe came trotting across the open flat looking for the helpless fawn. Quickly, I spotted the 2 guilty suspects hustling in my direction. One kept coming across the flat towards me while the other veered northward inside the treeline, presumably to track the doe.

I kept the occasional bleat to keep the one coyote honed in the right direction. When he was 100 yards out circling downwind, I let out a whistle to stop him. When his pads were planted, a 50 grain sent his way planted him permanently. I continued calling for the second, but no luck.

Getting up from the sit, I walked to the coyote, kicked him over and walked away. I couldn't feel 50% retribution for getting 1 of 2 dogs, as I knew the fawn would die, or be found by another coyote smelling the fresh blood.

It wasn't a Disney flick this morning, and I told myself the rifle would be behind the seat on all trip into the woods, and I would kill a few of those sunzabeetches this winter. Yes, the event had an effect on me.

That one coyote wont be tearing up any other fawns.

Had me going! Nicely done.

Would have been hard for me to not end the fawns suffering...

OH crap I was looking forward to one less scum back in the world. :lol:

Great story- had me going too- We all need to make it a point to make as many varmint expeditions as possible. Keep 'em thinned out!