tommat

Noon Siesta or

We stay out all day. My brother and I will have a spot that we spend our mid day at. We split up and say see you in a few hours. Then we tuck up in one of our favorite glassing spots. And glass untill our eyes just about fall out of opur heads. The whole time doing this we are snacking or eating lunch. I will mix up some gatorade to drink with lunch. One at a time we will rest our eyes for a bit while the other keeps glassing.But most of that time we are both behind our glass. four eyes will find more deer than two. But blood shot sore eyes will not see deer either. SO rest them a bit but not so long that you miss something moving around. :ph34r:

I always stay out all day long. It is always too far from camp and takes too much effort to get where I am going to not stay all day long. A nap is always a must though. As hard as I try I can't not take a nap. I think it might have cost me a shot though about 2 years ago. I was dozing off and I heard something below me and as I looked up I saw the body of a deer, not the head, duck into the super thick stuff below me. It went to water at the only spot of the water hole that I couldn't see. I'm sure it had to have been a buck. I saw tons of deer hit that water that day and they were all does and they all went to the open side of the water hole. Just my luck :( . Had I not dozed off I would have seen that deer out in the open before he hit the thick stuff.

I also nap where I'm at. Usually because I am way too far to hike back into camp. And like Audsley, I try to put my back against something. Some 6th sense woke me up one time with a lion staring at me from across the tank.

I've heard Hefflefinger say that deer get up and stretch and snack or move when the sun takes away their shade.

I usually do like everyone else does... Take a nap on the hill. If I am in a spot in the morning, I dont usually hunt it in the evening. So, naturally I will either go back to the truck or to camp right before I go to where I want to be for the evening hunt. Truck or camp, I will stay there just long enough to drink two or three bottles of water, refill my water bladder if need be, and lunch then head back to where I want to be.

My goal in the evening is not to see any deer what so ever for about an hour(unless kicked up, etc), then all of a sudden start seeing deer. The reason behind this is it tells me I most likely am setting up to glas with plenty of time to spare before the "prime" time.

:lol: hahahahahahha ...................hey but dont wake him up! that's the closest he gets to deer... in his dreams! :lol:

See his left hand?.........he's used to have a beer can on his hand and that's how his hand is when he does not have one. :P

Ernesto C

USAULLY HAVE A PARTNER AND WE PLATOON. AT 10 THE FIRST GUY GETS AN HOUR OR SO IN THEN SWITCH SO WE CAN ALWAYS KEEP EYES ON THE HILLS. GOIN BACK TO CAMP NEVER REALLY CROSSED MY MIND THERE ARENT ANY DEER IN CAMP. TAKE ENOUGH WATER TO GET IN AND OUT AND A FEW HIGH PROTIEN AND HIGH CALORIE SNACKS AND STAY WHERE THEY ARE. USUALLY HAVE A PRE MADE BREAKFAST AND REWARD OURSELVES WITH A FULL MEAL AT NIGHT. WITHIN A WEEK OF THE HUNT NOW AND NOT SLEEPIN WELL AND IT KINDA SERVES AS A WARM UP TO THE LACK THERE OF DURING THE HUNT. THIS IS ONE OF THE LONGEST WEEKS OF THE YEAR NEXT TO THE WEEK BEFORE RIFLE BULL. FROM BIRTH TO 12 CHRISTMAS WAS THE COUNTDOWN THAT CAUSED LOST SLEEP AND FROM 12 ON ITS THE HUNTS. NOTHING LIKE LEAVING THE TRUCK BEFORE SUN UP OPENING MORNING.

Like everyone else I stay out all day! In the Cab of My truck. It takes too much gas driving back and forth from camp and my "honey roads." When i do get sleepy I have to turn off the ignition. It could get dangerous sleeping and Driv....I mean hunting.

Bob

WELL FOR US (AS IN MY FATHER AND BROTHERS) WE USUALLY HIKE IN A COUPLE MILES SO GOING BACK TO CAMP MEANS THAT YOU HAVE TO STAY THERE SO IN THE COOLER HUNTS ITS BEST TO JUST PACK SOME FOOD AND STICK IT OUT. LIKE EVERYONE HAS MENTIONED YOU'LL BE SURPRISED WHAT YOU'LL SEE. FOR EXAMPLE A FEW YEARS AGO THE WIND WAS BLOWING EXTREMELY HARD AND THAT REALLY SUCKED UNTIL MY YOUNGER BROTHER SPOTTED TWO BUCKS SPARRING AGAINST EACH OTHER. WHAT A SITE.

we usually go back to camp for lunch but this year we will be hitting it all day long. we have found an awesome spot that is pretty remote so like everyone else stated it would be rough to do it twice. Also this year I have upgraded my glass and added a spotting scope so it will be easier glass longer, I really want to work on my glassing skills to locate them bedded. we'll be out on the Nov28-Dec4 Unit33 hunt.

Sometimes out all day, sometimes not..... Depending on the conditions and the particular hunt....

Most times if hunting right out of camp, I'll spend the morning hours hunting, then come back to camp to fill-up on a big breakfast/brunch. Maybe a little nap, then back-out by early-mid afternoon. Obviously if hunting from a back-pack camp, or far from 'car camp', then I'll just hunt all day.

No single 'right way' to do it!!!

S.

:)

It definitley depends on the weather but If I can I would rather stay out all day. Especially if I hiked somewhere no sense and hiking it again for the evening. During deer hunts I have seen some of the largest during the times of 11:00 and 3:00.

If you have a honey spot you can be a little more choosy about going back to camp for lunch- if you are learning a new area you are probably better off spending as much time in the field as you can. I remember napping one fine day under a juniper in 23- sleeping real good actually- I don't know what woke me up, but when I did there was a yellow and black centipede almost a foot long right next to my face- scared the bejeezies out of me- since then it's been much more difficult for me to nap in the field- nap sitting up, look around, and move slowly when you wake up. It still gives me the chills thinking about that centipede. Good Luck!

WELL FROM MY EXPERIENCE I WOULD SAY YOU ARE BETTER SLEEPING IN A LITTLE LONGER IN THE MORNING AND HUNT THE REST OF THE DAY. I HAVE NOTICED THAT COUES SEEM TO BE THE MOST ACTIVE BETWEEN 9 AND 3. IF YOUR ONE OF THOSE GUYS THAT GOES BACK TO CAMP MIDDAY YOU JUST MESSED UP ON HUNTING COUES.