Sign in to follow this  
catclaw

Carbon Fiber tripods

I am looking for a new tripod to replace my current aluminum Bogen. I want the quick release leg clamps and a high quality Carbon fiber lightweight/magnesium legs. I will use a medium Manfrotto ball head on it. I can't really afford a Gitzo. There are no camera stores in Arizona, to actually look at a real tripod I have to drive to LA, LV or NY. I will probably have to buy one online or fleabay. I would like to get one that a hunter has actually used if possible but that is proving to be a tall order. I need it to be at least 163cm tall (without the head) and under 3#. I don't want to spend more than $350 on the legs. The head is another $70.

Any of you guys used one that meets these criteria?

Thanks

Tempe photo has a large selection of tripods. Sometimes they have used ones as well.

http://www.tempecamera.biz/

Outdoorsmens in Cave Creek has a large selection also.

Floyd has two tripods and neither one are CF. His are "proprietary" and typical of everything else over there, way over priced. I heard Tempe camera has some stuff but not really a full line. According to the only camera store in Prescott, the nearest "real" camera store is in Las Vegas. I am going to Hong Kong in May and might wait until them, but I am going to Nevada for two weeks to guide and have a Dec WT hunt coming up here and would like a new one for that hunt but could probably make my old one do!

Doug, I have been looking at the Manfrotto stuff online. I am tempted to order the 055CXPro3 or CX3 but not just yet. These are tall enough and more robust than the 190 series (better in the wind I am sure) I haven't found a single other tripod that specs how I want except the Gitzo Mountaineers!

Dennis,

Would the Slik 713CF be an option?

http://www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-cfs3-b.html

http://www.adorama.com/SLCF713.html?search...d&item_no=3

Manfrotto 055cx (it's close to your specs)

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfro...=68&child=2

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5844...ION_TRIPOD.html

I have seen neither.

Doug

I think the Slik would work about as good as the 190 series Bogen- maybe I'm wrong and they are better but they are about the same weight and have an inferior leg locking system to the Bogen.

Too bad I can't look at these somewhere!

Tempe photo has a large selection of tripods. Sometimes they have used ones as well.

http://www.tempecamera.biz/

Outdoorsmens in Cave Creek has a large selection also.

Floyd has two tripods and neither one are CF. His are "proprietary" and typical of everything else over there, way over priced.

have you ever owned an outdoorsmans tripod? definitely the best purchase i have made out of all my hunting equipment. their product, while not CF, is light, sturdy and wont crack like CF. they stand behind their product more than anyone i have met. they will clean, oil, and put new feet on the tripod whenever i ask. after 5 years, my dads started to have a little friction in one of the legs and they gave him a brand new one on the spot. they also recently changed their clamps to a high density plastic type material and offered to swap out my old aluminum ones for free. Outstanding CS and company to buy from. while they are not CF, i felt the need to stick up for the good ol local boys who really care about you.

I have been looking at the Manfrotto stuff online. I am tempted to order the 055CXPro3 or CX3 but not just yet. These are tall enough and more robust than the 190 series (better in the wind I am sure) I haven't found a single other tripod that specs how I want except the Gitzo Mountaineers!

I have that one. I think it was labeled as the 190XBProCX or something like that. I will verify once I get home. Very good, very sturdy, very light.

I recently purchased the SLIK 713CF II, which has carbon fiber legs. I think I paid just north of $200 for it. I have used both the Outdoorsmans and the SLIK and IMO it is every bit as good as the Outdoorsmans. Slik makes several lighter carbon fiber tripods, but I wanted something in the middle that would be a bit more stable than the lighter ones.

Check out amvona on ebay. I bought one last year and love it. Mine has the twist lock legs but it is quick enough to adjust it. And at 1 lb 15 ozs, its a whole lot better than my old aluminum bogen. They have several different models and I scooped mine up for $92.

Good luck

Mike

I have been looking at the Manfrotto stuff online. I am tempted to order the 055CXPro3 or CX3 but not just yet. These are tall enough and more robust than the 190 series (better in the wind I am sure) I haven't found a single other tripod that specs how I want except the Gitzo Mountaineers!

I have that one. I think it was labeled as the 190XBProCX or something like that. I will verify once I get home. Very good, very sturdy, very light.

I checked, its the Manfrotto 190CXPRO3. Good tripod. The center column can extend all the way up and then be turned horizontal.

I checked, its the Manfrotto 190CXPRO3. Good tripod. The center column can extend all the way up and then be turned horizontal.

FLoyd of the Outdoorsman told me about a problem he expereinced with a Carbon Fiber tripod he used on an Alaska sheep hunt... I think in the wind it set up a harmonic vibration... thus, his tripod is not CF... Jim White of Unidaptor is another good guy to talk to about tripods and heads. Jim keep up on all the latest offerings by the different tripod companies. D.D.

I haven't had the wind problem, however there is a hook where you can attach a bag of weight which is supposed to stabilize the tripod in wind.

If you are in the market for a tripod head, you cannot beat the Jim White tripod head. I have two of them and they are well made, light, positive adjustments, just great.

I have the Bogan, the Outdoorsman, and now the Slik Pro 614CF. I have used the Outdoorsmans for years and love it, but after acquiring this Slik CF tripod, I love it more! I don't know the specifics on weight, but I think it weighs very similar to my Medium length Outdoorsmans, but I can stand with my Slik tripod and also extend the legs as long as needed when sitting on an elevated surface. I also like the twist style tension knobs on the Slik as opposed to the lever style on the Outdoorsman.......I always had a hard time keeping the lever tightened correctly or clean enough so it worked right.....constantly had to clean the Outdoorsman. The Bogan tripod is so heavy it only gets used in windy conditions or with my scope. As for heads....I've got the Jim White head on the Slik and the Outdoorsmans Pan Head on the Outdoorsmans......both are awesome, don't know which is better, but I do know for me I would use a Pan Head style head any day before using a Pistol Grip....those things drive me nuts! :P

Hey COOSEFAN, I agree on those pistol grip heads, the one I had drove me nuts! Constantly lose what you are looking at when you go to change for a better angle.